parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Saturday, October 07, 2006
    Holy Casebooks, Batman!
    Harvard announced that it's completely re-vamping its first year curriculum! It is taking the emphasis OFF casebooks, and trying to implement a look at creativity and problem solving, as is required in an international and global legal field.

    Wow. Apparently, they decided that the old method, which is 130 years old, does not deserve its age, and it's time to make a change.

    Since they're the ones who started the casebook method, a la Christopher Langdell, and that took such a firm hold in law schools across the nation --- will this, too? I can almost guarantee that my school will be one of the first to follow in Harvard's footsteps. Several professors have commented in class about the fact that they're mostly "stuck" with this method of teaching, due to peer pressure [i.e., other law schools], and have already tried to put other things into the mix: problem-solving exercises, group work, etc.

    I can't wait to see how things change. And I'm kind of glad it's happening as I'm leaving.

    I remember that I was taking the GRE in 1995, thinking I wanted to go to grad school for English, and to teach in high schools (b/c Schlurg convinced me I was too stupid to go to law school), and they were about to move over to the computer tests. I RUSHED to take that exam before the date where computerized test-taking was mandatory. I didn't want to do it the "new" way - I wanted my pencils, and my bubbles.

    I think I'd feel the same way about law school if it was going through drastic changes around the time I was getting ready to freak out about the LSAT. I think I would have put it off indefinitely.

    And I'd still be typing other people's letters, and listenign to NPR 6 hours a day, b/c work only kept me engaged for 2. (although that part was kind of nice .... although still very frustrating, and not THAT intellectually stimulating.)

    It will be fun to watch from the other side, though.
    posted by Zuska @ 9:10 AM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?