parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Monday, October 02, 2006
    Depressing Interview
    Okay, interview #4 joins interview #3 in the poop-pile. and as of right now, there is no #5 in the future. There is a potential that I will still get a 5th, 6th, and 7th, but that's it for now.

    Today's dude left me sitting in the crappy-ass waiting area for 23 minutes beyond the interview start time. If this happened on Friday, I would have been screwed, since I scheduled interviews back-to-back. Then, when he showed up, he was laughing about how everyone picked that moment to stop by and say hi. So sorry, he said.

    He then asked me what I like about working in firms, and he listened not one iota to my answer. I could have said, "I like working in firms, b/c it's good for me to wear suits, because my entire body is covered with purple stripes" and he would not have known, b/c why? He was looking at my resume and transcript. For the first time.

    He commented the fact that I've done "very well" in law school, and I said, "well, I've really enjoyed law school." To which he responded 'WHY????" In a snotty tone. I went with my little blah blah about how I had 10 years between undergrad and law school, and my decision to go to law school was a hard wrought one, involving sacrifices and blah blah blah."

    Then he gave me the speech I've heard from all 4 firms, to wit:

    "I receive a stack of resumes from the desk to the ceiling, and I weed through all of them to find the best candidates, and I really don't want to have to go through the process again, so if I make you an offer, I'd really like to hear back from you quickly, and I'd really like you to accept."

    Perhaps I should be saying, "oh, absolutely, you are my first choice! I promise if you make me an offer, I will accept!" I sure as shit didn't say that today, nor did I say it to Interview #3. B/c I knew that offers would not be accepted. Even if it means I end up working for Greater Boston Legal Services (which could be very fun, and very rewarding), and take out an extra $10K in loans for this year ... I'm not working for these assholes, no matter how much they bitch and moan about having to wade through resumes.

    Both of these firms could rid themselves of this "stress" and "frustration" -- they could pay more. Quite simply, the reason why they're not getting their offers accepted is likely b/c those people who DO click with them (who the hell knows who that is) are holding out for the firms that pay 2x as much. If not 4x as much.

    I am hating this job search. I think it is partially because by the end of the summer, I was pretty happy with the culture of Summer Firm. I liked the place, I liked the people. Knowing that I'm going back there, it's hard to find another atmosphere appealing, especially when it's only for a couple of months. Sitting in that waiting room today (for 23 minutes), I was looking around in DREAD at the thought of having to show up there every day for 11 weeks.

    By the time I was leaving Summer Firm, I was looking around in SHOCK that I wasn't going to be there - that they were going to take my ID away, that my email address was going to be deleted.

    I think it's hard to think of another place as a temporary home when the (semi) permanent home has been chosen.

    Perhaps that's why this isn't going well .... people know this. People who see my resume know "she already has a home, she can't make this her home."

    But then why interview me? My resume says "offer accepted" on it. Perhaps it's some freakshow ... let's check out this chick who went to the most conservative college on the planet, and then the most liberal law school on the planet, which is also relatively low ranked, and yet ended up at Summer Firm .... i wanna know what someone with this past LOOKS like!

    I wish I could just take more classes in the winter.
    posted by Zuska @ 12:58 PM  
    1 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?