parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, May 09, 2006
    Another way you know exams are coming .....
    I had 3 zits pop out on my face today. They are all from Fed Courts. I'm sure of it. Nothing else is stressing me out -- just Fed Courts.

    I also got another new suit in the mail. I like it a lot. It was another from Ann Taylor. I'm loving Ann Taylor. She's my best friend. J.Crew however - NOT my best friend. J. is a creep. I hate him/her.

    This evening, I stayed at school very late (for me -- 7:50 p.m.) and worked through an old Fed Courts exam with a friend. We read the question, and thought, "oh, fuck." all the claims! and all the causes of action! and we found ourselves asking weird questions - questions we felt we shouldn't have 6 days before the exam. like, "well, why is this a 1983 claim instead of a Bivens claim?" and "if you can only get prospective injunctive relief against a state official .... can you get attorney's fees? [b/c we figured atty's fees was the reason for the 1983 instead of Bivens .... but then thought - WAIT!!!]" We really thought we should know these things. I am going to talk to my professor tomorrow. Then, I will know these things. I also, while sitting there with my friend, ordered Chemerinsky's Federal Jurisdiction book from Amazon. I paid for overnight shipping. I will have it tomorrow. I will then have clarity. She has it - and I used it constantly this evening - it just worked to clear the fog during those times that we were reading our notes and then squinching our noses up asking "huh? what?"

    I had been quite nervous about the fact that I find myself not caring too very much about my Employment Law exam. Fed Courts is on Monday a.m. from 9-1, and then I will start looking at Employment Law - and that exam is on Wednesday from 9-12. Maybe not enough time? I did not know. The class has seemed so NOT challenging, and has required so very little of me - other than going to class, listening to all the very interesting and relevant things about minimum wage, and mass dismissals, and wrongful discharge actions, a little Family Medical Leave Act Here, a Little Fair Labor Standards Act there. So I felt adrift about what to expect from the exam. I was slightly nervous b/c the professor has a healthy econ bend, and i hate econ, and it and I get along poorly.

    So today, my fears were put to rest. He decided that he's going to do a multiple choice. 30-35 questions. there will be a lot of statutory stuff. We'll need to be familiar with the statutes (I think there's 4, with regulations), and be able to discuss things like who's covered and who's exempt, and what can you really get if people ignore the fact that there's a law, and exploit you even more than the law allows, which is kind of a real lot.

    Here's a look at my day tomorrow:

    Tomorrow (Weds):

    8:30 - Administrative Law
    10:00 - Gym
    11:30 - Library
    12:30 - talk to Fed Courts Professor
    12:45 - Finish standing portion of Admin Take Home exam [my group-fellows are doing
    the other parts); and, if I have time, Fed Courts Outline
    3:00 - Meet with Admin professor and group
    3:15 - COnsult with Admin group about finishing take home exam
    3:30 - Fed Courts Outline
    5:00 - pack up and ride bike home to get Thing One and take her to softball. if game is rained
    out, b/c we are having a week of rain, this changes to 6:00 instead of 5:00.
    6:30 - dinner with family; laundry; perhaps Family Game Night - if no Softball. If there is
    softball, then I'm out until 8:30
    8:30 - put kids to bed
    9:00 - watch Lost. People got SHOT last week. I can't miss Lost. Fed Courts is
    important, but dammit, I have priorities.
    10:00 - Outline Fed Courts until sleep hijacks my body
    posted by Zuska @ 11:24 PM  
    2 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?