parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Friday, February 23, 2007
    7 hours, 40 minutes
    That's how much longer I have at this job.

    Transitions are always a big deal for me. My countdowns always start far in advance - and I recognize that sometimes I hurt myself in one way or another by doing this. Sometimes it's only emotionally, because I don't enjoy what I'm doing NOW because I'm too busy counting down to what I do NEXT. Sometimes it's professionally, because once I start counting down, the effort I put in is not as solid as it was before I realized a change was coming. Sloppiness ensues.

    I've had a few minor mishaps here since the countdown began - one of them (accidentally sending an unfinished e-mail to a partner) had more to do with my rush to get everything done in time than it did with a bad attitude. All in all, however, I think I've had a good experience and am leaving with a good impression in my wake. I've had offers for references, and I've enjoyed a few of the women here and their interest in mentoring me as one of the future Women Lawyers in this town. I hope to run into them again.

    My office is cleaned out. I started on Tuesday - bringing home shoes and water bottles. The last items (which I already put in my bag to bring home today) include: a lint brush; photos of the girls; a mirror; a final pair of shoes; and a notebook I've been using for personal jottings and musings. Oh yeah, shit, and a suit jacket. I didn't want to have to lug that home today.

    I've organized the files I'm leaving in my wake with sticky notes identifying the supervising attorney; and I'm spend the rest of the day finalizing and editing the Big Project that I've been working on. It has the potential to be my first publication credit, so I need to do my best to pass it on in good shape.

    I am grateful for this co-op. I believe that it taught me a lot more than I expected it could. I learned not only practice-oriented tips (i.e., billable time), but also a lot of substantive law in Massachusetts, in a wide range of practice areas. I was able to experience trial prep for the first time, and to sit in on the trial. I've done things that are considered more "academic" than I thought.

    And, as Beloved said on my way out the door - it's my last day, of my last co-op, in my last year of school. WOO HOO!!

    Labels: , ,

    posted by Zuska @ 9:18 AM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?