parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Thursday, February 22, 2007
    All Hail The Queen!
    Yeah, I loved the movie. I won't give it my vote (as if I have one) for Best Picture, but definitely best actress. It felt like a fantastic character study, a glimpse into Great Britain, and just a really nice film. I loved what a mess Tony Blair's house was, and I loved the way the women (Tony Blair's wife and The Queen) walked. They both walked funny. I loved The Queen going upstairs and knocking on a bedroom door while saying, "Mommy!!!" and then begging her mother for help and advice .... and then ignoring it.

    I loved how pathetic Charles was.

    I loved the (real) clips interspersed throughout.

    Thus far, my vote for Best Picture goes to the Departed. I expect that Babel will put that decision to the test, but we'll see. As great as The Queen was, it seemed to restful of a film to get Best Picture. I think that a Best Picture should make my skin crawl in one way or another - it should have a real impact on me.

    And for Best Actress, Helen Mirren hands down. Meryl Streep shouldn't even have been nominated - a real actress wouldn't have taken that god awful role in that god awful movie (Devil Wears Prada), and I was, as I believe I said, wholly unimpressed with the little girl in Little Miss Sunshine.

    Oh - I see I didn't blog about Devil Wears Prada.* I sort of pushed that movie on Beloved, and as usual when I insist on a movie, I was squirming over how awful it was. I truly hated it. I felt like the lines were blurry in stupid ways -- was it good that she got herself from a size 6 to a size 4, or was it a bad sign of her succumbing to the fashion industry and losing herself? Because they treated it like a good thing, even though it was all those other bad things, too. Meryl Streep's character was unimpressive to me. Why was she nominated? Because she proved she can talk in a really quiet voice? Because she cried? Bleh.

    I do not think that someone who agreed to take that role should win an award for her performance, regardless of how she acted during it. Choosing what movies to play in is part of being an actress, and this was a failure at that. In my oh-so-humble opinion, of course.

    * If you click on this link and see the little interview with Meryl Streep, I think it seems that she also was not impressed with the movie or the role. Also, I love her childhood ambitions.

    Labels:

    posted by Zuska @ 8:53 AM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?