parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, December 19, 2006
    Something New To Do .... Yea?
    I am very happy about this ... I've been invited to join a book group. It is not with kids. It is for Grown Ups.

    This is really good for me right now, with my seeking to increase my level of social activity. I think it was inevitable, for a 1st year of law school in a new city - I was relatively stand-offish at my school, b/c of constantly running home (b/c that's what I wanted to do) to be with the family; and also relatively stand-offish at the GIRLS' school, b/c of constantly running home to study.

    But now school is winding down, and my life can (re)start.

    There are 9 other women in the group, and I know 3 of them (I probably know more, I don't know the full list of members yet). One of the 3 I know is the mom of the boy that e. has been struggling with -- us moms have started to talk, to see what's up with the kids, and we're going out to dinner next week, to talk more - not really about these kids' problems with each other. More just to vent to another mom about some of the harder aspects of parenting. I think that it's hard (perhaps especially in this town) for moms to talk about their STRUGGLES. Bragging about kids - perfectly okay. But I think if you share about your difficulties -- the grapevine kicks in, and people start to think of your kid as a "problem." Which e. is NOT. I think that since this other mom and I have now experienced our kids being a difficult with each other - there's a certain safety zone.

    And she seems a wee younger, like me, and she's pretty friendly. she also works full time, which is a rarity around here. Part-time is getting to be less and less of a rarity, as kids get older ... but full time is still unusual.

    My first meeting of the book group is the week of New Year's, and I guess I have to either go to the bookstore, or the library!! I have a book to read!!

    Labels: , ,

    posted by Zuska @ 9:05 AM  
    2 Comments:
    • At Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:15:00 AM, Blogger Suzanne said…

      Congrats on the book group! I am officially on hiatus from mine, and I wish I could summon the fortitude to rejoin.

      What book are you reading?

       
    • At Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:25:00 AM, Blogger Zuska said…

      American Pastoral by Philip Roth. I've never read anything by him (I don't think). Probably b/c 99% of what I read is written by women. Although at least 3 of my favorite recent reads are by men ... Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Saffron Foer (is that it?), Blindness by Jose Saramago and Kite Runner ... by the guy who wrote Kite Runner.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?