parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Thursday, October 12, 2006
    growth
    I spoke to the 1Ls. There were not 8 of them. There were probably 75 or 100.

    I was fine with it until some girl asked me my grade in a class that I showed an outline for. That flustered me. The problem was - she didn't say "what is your grade" - but rather "did you get an A?" i said i didn't, but didn't say what I did get. i'm not standing up there and telling 75 or 100 1Ls what my grades were. jeez.

    so that made me blush, and once i start blushing, i don't stop.

    I am pretty sure I freaked them out. They were freaked out by the fact that I said they needed AT LEAST 20 hours per outline, and they were freaked out by my charts and indexes. I told them that it didn't take that long, and that it was the way I used up my nervous energy before exams, and that once i made them, the info was stuck in my head, and i barely needed them during exams. but they were still freaked out.

    my professor/supervisor said it's good for 1Ls to be freaked out. that she wouldn't want someone to get up in front of them and say, "oh, it's not too much work, you'll be FINE - just study the night before."

    I do love my outlines. I think when I graduate, I'll have to go to Outlines Anonymous.

    I would say, however, that this was one of my more successful public speaking experiences. Why? b/c the nerves just weren't there. I felt confident and capable before hand. This was not something I would have EVER volunteered (or agreed) to do, even a year ago, I think. I was fine with it today. I had enough nerves to make me not super-casual - but I don't think I would have blushed at all if that girl didn't probe me for PERSONAL INFORMATION. I probably seemed nervous while up there to those who know me, but i think it went well.

    I'm slowly but surely breaking through the barriers I've had up, deterring me from doing the things I've wanted to do. The law school experience has been very good for me in that way.

    It seems like someone at my school has found my blog. Not sure who it is - not even sure if it's someone in the law school.
    posted by Zuska @ 10:32 AM  
    1 Comments:
    • At Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Fat Man Running said…

      I love my outlines, too. I never share them though... not because I'm selfish, but to most people, they'd be pretty incomprehensible. For me, outlining is all about process. If I have to keep going back to an outline during the exam, I haven't learned it... but that's rarely the case. All that time... and I hardly touch 'em. :)

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?