parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Thursday, July 12, 2007
    Waiting on a Second Wind
    I did a bunch of Con Law questions this a.m. Then I went through the answers. Then I went through the MA distinctions for essay-purposes. In between, I did 6 loads of laundry (no, I think it was 8), and all of that was AFTER I went to the gym.

    now I'm eating tuna salad, and wondering from where, exactly, I'm supposed to muster the energy to do another 4 hours of work today?

    I also feel so LOST on the essays. I just don't know how to study for them. I can do multiple choice. I'm one of those people who test well with that kind of test. But the essays are so overwhelming.

    I heard recently (I think on a PMBR lecture from the disks I love) that a lot of states don't focus on their state law for the essays. The dude even said, "in Connecticut, and Massachusetts, the essays are on national law." Liar. They are not! I wish they were. I'd go take a nap or something.

    Yesterday, I went through the Federal Jurisdiction (i.e., Civ Pro) notes, and made up note cards, and then wrote a couple of essays on that topic. I felt okay about that. But it took like - FOREVER - and I don't have FOREVER times 13. Or 19, if you count MBE topics that we have to know the stupid "distinctions" for.

    I just got another of my evaluations from the Spring. At least my days are peppered with these confidence boosters "Oh, I do have a brain, I do!"

    ______________________________________________

    I am bringing my stupid MacBook into the Genius Bar tonight. I am really not happy about this. It's got all my notes on it (easy to e-mail to myself), and it's got the BarBri Study Smart software on it, which I'm really enjoying. I went off the Paced Program, and started doing the advanced questions as mixed subject Qs on the computer, and I really like how it tracks my progress and shows me which sub-topics I need to focus on.

    But it won't stay asleep AND the area where I rest my hands is discolored and cracking AND the screen flickers ominously when it dims itself just prior to NOT going to sleep. All of these things conspired to make me believe that I did, in fact, need their protection plan, and I bought that a couple of weeks ago. Stupid MacBook.

    It's likely ok that I have to live without my Study Smart. It just gives me more time for essays, and then the computer will come home on Saturday or Sunday, and all will be well.

    ______________________________________________

    I think I found my "Fuck You" subject. It's comparative/contributory negligence. I hate hate hate hate those questions. I know if I sat down with the "large outline" I could work my way through the nuances. But I don't want to. I hate hate hate hate it. I don't want to do the fucking math, and I don't want to make a goddamned CHART in a multiple choice question. I think I'll figure out how we do it here in MA, and tell the MBE to go to hell on that score. I mean, how many questions really can there be with the stupid percentages and other such nonsense?

    I went out last night. Out to dinner with Beloved and another couple. We had good food, spent a good bit of $$, and I had 2 drinks. We laughed and chatted, and were home by 10:30. I got home and did more Qs.

    Nice life I have here, eh?

    I'm going out tonight, too. I don't think I'll only have 2 drinks, though, and I sort of don't think I'll be home by 10:30.

    But I can't be out TOO late, b/c at 9 a.m., I'm going out for coffee with a friend.

    Bar exam? What bar exam?

    Did I mention I want to go see Harry Potter tomorrow? The morning coffee date likely precludes that, though. I don't mind taking a break a day ... 2 breaks, though, is likely beyond "maintaining balance" and heading toward "blowing off the bar exam."

    Okay - I'm going to force myself into the essays.

    Frizzum frazzum.

    Labels: , , , ,

    posted by Zuska @ 2:27 PM  
    6 Comments:
    • At Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I took my MacBook to Apple three times in two weeks (1 - Random restart, 2 days in shop; 2 - Airport going in and out and plastic piece on case suddenly broken when "Genius" returned it to me, 2 days in shop; 3 - No Airport card (!), they said it was burned out and gave me a brand new, upgraded MacBook with double memory!

      Not that you have time for all of that frustration, but just an FYI that the squeaky wheel gets the grease (and a $99 ProCare membership helps, too!)

       
    • At Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:03:00 PM, Blogger Zuska said…

      I wonder if your "random restart" is the same thing I'm getting? I close the computer, and it stays quiet for a minute (and I think it's asleep), but then it makes that "waking up" noise again, and it cycles like that every 5 seconds.

      I brought it in 2 weeks ago, and guess what? I closed the computer, and it went to sleep. And stayed asleep. I couldn't get it to do it.

      But it is happening still, and I've written down dates and times (all the time), and they can look it up in the computer's log. It's pissing me off.

      I really don't want to do without my computer right now :(

       
    • At Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Nope, mine actually says "You must restart your computer right now!" It's the gray screen of death and is written in about 6 different languages. :(

      I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. Does your hubby have a laptop you could use while your Mac's in the shop or, worst case, for the bar exam (assuming that everything you need would be blocked out for the test anyway)?

       
    • At Sunday, July 15, 2007 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Zuska said…

      Oh, it's not so bad. I don't really use my computer for studying - I have notecards. I do like the software that BarBri has because they analyze the answers and keep a running tally of percentages we get right/wrong, and I like to track improvement.

      My daughters have my old computer (laptop) and did NOT take it with them, so I'm using that. I tried to download my software onto it, but it didn't work for some reason. My computer should be back home soon. I'll more than survive. I just miss my Mac.

      The bar exam here is hand-written. No computer necessary.

       
    • At Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:09:00 PM, Blogger Mieke said…

      You are really really scaring me about the bar. You are a superstar student and yet you seem to be suffering and struggling. Or is this always the way you do it?

       
    • At Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Zuska said…

      No one sails through the bar. There are massive amounts of information, and it's not easy to memorize it - no matter how well you do in law school. It's nothing like law school - the info's different, the study style is different -- everything.

      If you don't suffer and struggle, you're doing something wrong, I think.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?