parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Thursday, May 24, 2007
    Laziness
    I just returned from a run around the reservoir. I took a longer path through the back roads TO the reservoir, including a gigantic stair path. I went around twice, instead of the usual 3 times, but was out there moving for over an hour. I felt like I wasn't working hard enough. This is what bothers me about outside exercise v. gym exercise. I can't track what I'm doing.

    I know that when I'm on the elliptical in the gym, and it says that I burned 450 calories in 30 minutes, it's probably not telling me the truth. However, if the same machine tells me the next day that I instead burned 480 calories in 30 minutes (and since it used to tell me that I was burning 300 calories in 30 minutes) - I know I succeeded in pushing myself a little further. I miss that feedback when I'm outside. I miss knowing how fast my feet are moving and down to the 10th of the mile how far I've gone.

    But now that BarBri is starting, it's just not feasible to go to the gym anymore. It was easy for me to go before my noon class on M/W, after my 8 a.m. class on T/Th, and whenever I felt (or didn't feel) like it on Fridays. Now that I have to be somewhere that's NOT on my campus (where the gym is) every day by 9:30 - I don't see how I can do it anymore.

    If I didn't have 2 kids to usher off to school, it would be a piece of cake. I could easily ride my bike to the gym, work out, shower, and then hop to the T to the class, take the T back to my bike, and go home.

    But the girls walk out the door at 7:45, and I'm not yet ready to abandon that routine entirely to Beloved. Mostly because I know I am abandoning it next year when I'm at Future Firm. I plan to leave here well before the girls wake up. So, I'd like this last 3 weeks of mornings.

    This means that I am going to have to run around the reservoir at an ungodly time of day.

    UNLESS - I went to the gym after BarBri. But I think that will screw with my studying. The gym kinda takes a while. It will take at least 30 minutes to get there, an hour-plus to work out, 30 more minutes to shower - and boom. Time to go get the girls. (Or close enough to it that I'll find myself not doing any work.) I also could buy a membership at a gym in the neighborhood, but it just seems so wasteful. The school gym is open to me until late June, and then I can buy a summer membership for pennies.

    I need to find a way to push myself harder around the lake during BarBri. Despite its lack of digital read outs.

    Any good equipment recommendations are welcome - my mother had bought me a pedometer for my birthday, and it was clearly designed for old farts. The only way it would work is it was attached to a BELT. Like, a leather belt that goes around golf pants which a polo shirt is tucked into and with which loafers are worn. I don't wear belts when I work out. Call me crazy. I tried to just carry it one day, and when it hit .63 miles, it died. It just stuck. Stopped reading mileage, and was just ... broke.

    I think the Nike/iPod pack looks very interesting, but I don't have a Nano, and I don't really want one (I have a shuffle for the gym, and a regular iPod for normal stuff), and the package is pretty pricey once you factor in the shoes (which would likely be uncomfortable on my very picky feet) and the Nano. (E has a nano, I could adopt it .... )

    Another bad thing -- at the gym, I do strength training. I keep saying I'm going to do it at home with the various weights and floors around the house - but I never end up doing that, either.

    I have lost over 20 pounds since March, safely, slowly, and healthily. I'd like to lose another 20 pounds. I can't really stop exercising if I expect that to happen. I'm sad that the convenience of the past 2 months is going away.

    Labels: ,

    posted by Zuska @ 10:41 AM  
    6 Comments:
    • At Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I haven't tried it myself, but I know that a lot of people just tuck the nike/ipod thingy into the laces of their existing running shoes.

       
    • At Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      At target, usually in the aisle with the dumbells and yoga stuff, are peds for normal folks. For about 30 bucks you can get a watch that monitors heartrate, steps taken, and a whole bunch of other stuff to help you determine your stats. Also, check out the information at fitsugar.com for some outdoor exercise ideas. Good luck with barbri! I'm still 2 years off that point! (oh, and while I agree with your DH about not being x's mom, however, I think it wouldn't hurt to ensure your daughter gets that phone call. Anything to benefit your child is a good thing, even if as her mom it's not really your end of the job).

       
    • At Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:33:00 PM, Blogger Lise Johnston said…

      I was looking for something recently that does pretty much the same thing. I found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-Pedometer-Panic-Alarm/dp/B000QZ4RT4/ref=sr_1_1/103-8192640-5228636?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1180034276&sr=1-1

      Oregon Scientific Pedometer PE828 with Panic Alarm and LED flashlight Keep track of distance, calories and progress toward exercise targets while offering peace of mind Stylish pedometer measures distance walked, calories and steps. Pull quickly on the strap and the pedometer emits a high pitched alarm. Pedometer provides feedback on exercise goal and stores seven days of activity for monitoring progress.

      They also have a few watches that are pedometers and heart rate monitors so they count calories and distance.

       
    • At Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:24:00 PM, Blogger Fat Man Running said…

      Yeah, my wife uses the Nike/iPod thing, and just puts it in a shoe wallet... it works great.

      http://www.amazon.com/Shoe-Wallet-Easily-Carrying-Credit/dp/B000G3GQDG

       
    • At Friday, May 25, 2007 1:45:00 PM, Blogger 1L Elle said…

      Good Luck with the Bar! I'm starting law school in August so I've got a few years before I have to start worrying about that!

      Congrats on losing 20lbs the healthy safe way!! I'm a runner and triathlete and a workout-gadget geek. I reccommend getting a Garmin. I don't know how I ever ran outside without one! I bought mine off ebay, it measures distance, altitude, heart-rate, time, you name it. After my run I download it all to my computer and chart my progress. I also can reccommend the Nike/iPod combo, you don't have to buy the shoes, you can make a little pouch to go into your laces. If you're more interested in knowing how many calories you burned and don't need all the other things, the BodyBugg is awesome! You wear it on your arm and at the end of the day you download it on your computer and see what you burned, this is great if you're also monitoring your caloric intake.

      Keep up the great work!!

       
    • At Friday, May 25, 2007 11:23:00 PM, Blogger Zuska said…

      Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm looking into the Garmin (although it looks a wee pricey for pre-employed Zuska) and other trackers, and LOVE the shoe wallet! I think I'm gonna get me one of those!!

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?