parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Monday, May 21, 2007
    Mugs
    I am having a slower start than I expected [flag this as the understatement of the day]. I planned to leave here at 9, go to the gym, then drop off my loan paperwork and then come home. 9 a.m. turned into 10:15, and I realized that it had gotten too late for me to go to the gym prior to putting food in my stomach. Or else I'd be too weak. So I boiled some eggs. Now I'm waiting for them to cool to a temperature appropriate for salting and eating.

    In the meantime, I'd like to tell a story about Zuska the Dork.

    I have a thing for mugs. I like pretty mugs. Sometimes, it seems foolish of me to like and therefore purchase pretty mugs, b/c I typically purchase coffee and tea from Starbucks or ABP, or some other cafe. But when I'm home, and I brew my own coffee, I want it in a pretty mug.

    When Beloved and I moved here from CA, I had to get rid of a lot of mugs. Mugs tend to get chipped around here, too, so I've lost others in that manner.

    And, since we've been here, my cafe drinking and my budget have steered me away from buying mugs. I've gotten a couple as gifts, but I haven't really bought a pretty mug in a long time.

    Yesterday, I brought E to cello, and went on my usual trek to Starbucks in order to a) get my daily caffeine injection, and b) kill time before I could retrieve her.

    While in Starbucks, I saw a Pretty Mug. It was a little taller than usual (and since I drink larger than usual cups of coffee, it was perfect), and had a pretty red floral-ish, hippy-ish design. I said, "that would be a perfect "you finished law school" gift for myself." And I bought it. It was $8.

    They gave it to me in a handled bag, which I like to have in the house because they're useful for packing lunches, etc. I had on my Timbuk2 bag, but it was full of stuff, and I thought that the mug may not be safe in there as I got on and off the T with E and her cello and so forth. So I kept it in my hand.

    As I was getting off the T to get E, post-Starbucks, I was thinking, "maybe I should put it in my ba----"

    I didn't think the "g" in "bag" b/c as it was about to enter my articulated thoughts .... the handle of the bag slipped out of my fingers, and the bag fell to the ground.

    Of course, I thought, the mug broke. But I checked anyway. It was broke.

    I threw away $8. Basically. Little budget-zuska, trying so hard to make her limited summer-funds last the summer, decided to splurge and spend $8 on a mug, and then she dropped it.

    Beloved said, "sweetie, you weren't meant to have that mug." I stomped my foot (loudly) and said, "I'm replacing it!" He said if I try, I'll be tempting the fates.

    Fuck the fates. I'm replacing it.

    Labels: ,

    posted by Zuska @ 10:42 AM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?