parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, January 17, 2006
    as i predicted ....
    some of you may remember, i started to freak out about my spring quarter a couple of weeks ago -- it starts on 3/6/06. I had said that all of my anxiety over the issue would probably be moot once they post the class schedule, because it would be likely that 3 of the 6 classes i am interested in would be at the same time.

    I was right. 3 of the 6 are at the same time.

    However - the 4 that I *can* take are the 4 I'd already settled on in my brain, knowing that the plan may change.

    The *bad* part, is that they're all 4 on the same days. So my schedule will look like this:

    Monday:

    8:30 - 9:50 - Corporations
    10:15 - 11:35 - Employment Law
    1:45 - 3:05 - Fed Courts
    3:50-5:20 - Trusts and Estates

    Tuesday:

    Repeat. (except that Trusts and Estates doesn't start until 4:20 .... odd).

    Wednesday - no class.

    Thursday:

    Repeat Monday (again)

    Friday:

    No class.

    I am not sure how I feel about this. But looking at the schedule, and what my alternative schedules would be - I'm not changing it. I feel like Corporations and Employment law are STAYING. I have convinced myself that i'd rather take Fed Courts as a 2L (which some people say is risky, and that 2L's are too green and ignorant for Fed Courts) and perhaps struggle through than take it in my final quarter. Further, I think I will be glad to have it in my last 2 co-ops. I may have said this before, i wish i had it now.

    My M,T,Th will be L-O-N-G, and I will probably have to ride the bike come rain or shine in order to make it work with the kids. I'll have to be very disciplined about reading ahead on Wednesdays and Fridays (knowing how hard that is to do on a Friday, but I am strong, I am tough).

    The other bad thing is I was hoping for things to be a wee bit more open so I would ahve time to go to the gym M-F. I am going to make it work, though, in the 2+ hours smack in the middle of classes.

    And on Friday .... grades will be mailed (since we have "evaluations" we do not get to check our grades on line. we must wait for the leather-bound book to arrive via First Class Mail). why am I not nervous? it's not confidence - it's more of an apathy. I know I gave my ALL to the "class that I was teaching" and I'm confident that my grade (ehem, sorry, evaluation) will reflect that. But you can't give your ALL to one class and not have the other THREE suffer to some extent. We shall see.

    ________________

    *** Update. Uh, I changed my mind (think this is the last time?) I'm going to forego Trusts and Estates, and instead take Administrative Law, at 8:30 on Wednesday and Friday. I may be the only person in the world who would CHOOSE the 8:30 class over the 10:15 (Land Use, also on Wednesday and Friday), but I may also be the only person in the SCHOOL who has 2 kids to drop off at school by 8 a.m. anyway. So it's no skin off my nose.

    This way, I don't have to RUSH home every evening, and can spread out my prep time some. Furthermore, it will get me at school earlier for gym purposes on W, F. AND Trusts and Estates is one of the classes I can take next Spring, that seems relatively easy, and that I don't anticipate needing at Big Firm this summer, or in anything I hope to do during next winter's co-op. I also think I'm more likely to use Admin law in the future than I would be to use Land Use.

    These things truly freak me out.

    Oh - did I mention that the Admin Prof. is known as One of The Best??? So, I look forward to it.
    posted by Zuska @ 6:40 PM  
    4 Comments:
    • At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:19:00 PM, Blogger Joey said…

      Yowza--That is one seroius schedule, even with the Admin law class. I'm sure you'll handle it fine. And I'm with you on the early classes. None of my classmates understand why I want to get here early and leave at a reasonable hour.

       
    • At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:50:00 PM, Blogger Zuska said…

      I don't think it will be so bad. Last quarter was worse. There were some days when I had class from 8:30 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. last quarter. I think that this shift of the 4th class will help immensley - especially with the things I hate the most - RUSHING HOME. I just spaz out. there's really no reason for it. beloved is more than willing to do pick up duty.

      i am just to high strung, i think.

       
    • At Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Legal Quandary said…

      I took both Fed Courts and Admin as a 2L. Both had insane amounts of reading, but part of that was because of the stupid quarter system.

      I actually found that both of them were pretty useful in my 3L courses. ESPECIALLY Admin.

       
    • At Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      :-( I couldn't take Corporations because the only section offered this semester is at the same time as Fed Courts. And I couldn't take Evidence because the only section offered this semester was wildly oversubscribed and I was still #180 on the waiting list when I gave up. Due to the 7 credit clinic, however, I'm still taking 18 hours: clinic, Admin, Fed Cts, moot court (editor for the 1Ls) and legal theory workshop.

      You don't get to check grades online? that might actually be a blessing. For the amount of time I've already spent checking grades, I could have gotten an entire Admin reading assignment done.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?