parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Sunday, September 04, 2005
    Overload Volume IV - Intersections and Incidentals
    I knew how insane this week would be. I also have parents - who are grandparents to my kids, and they crave time with my kids. Last year it worked out that the kids went on vacation with my parents during my orientation week, and the result was the girls got a real vacation (for so many years, vacation for us has meant visiting family), my parents got time with their favorite children, and I got to focus on figuring out my New World. It also worked out well because my academic year starts almost 2 weeks before theirs, and all camps and other full time child care things have expired.

    We decided on a repeat this year right after last year went so well. But Thing One and Thing Two both said they'd rather hang out with Grandma and Grandpa at their house - it's in the country. They like being in the Country. But then as time got closer, I was a little itchy over the whole thing. Thing Two in particular didn't wnat to leave again, after a slightly tramautic experience over the summer. I felt Mommy-guilt in that my schooling was necessitating this discomfort.

    Turns out, however, they had a great time. And I don't know what I would have done if they were here. Well, of course I do. My Beloved would have filled in gaps where possible, my babysitter would have filled in others, and all would be well. Stressful, but okay.

    I had a weird sensation when they were on their way back though - this year is too intense! I can't do it! I don't know how to give back some of my evenings - I don't know how to get home on time to have dinner with the family! It isn't possible!! I was a little .... scared.

    Then I got a phone call from the after-school program at their elementary school. Space had opened up -- did I want to enroll them ? But I already lined up our babysitter (a lovely college student who is fantastic with the kids, and who they truly enjoy and respect) to stay on 3-4 days a week, and was going to see if I could pick them up myself 2 days a week. That proved to be unrealistic folly - I have weekly meetings on one of those hopeful days now, from 2-4. So that wouldn't have worked. But what about our Babysitter?

    The problem being thus: She is a senior. She graduates this December. Right as I go back on co-op and need full time childcare, she will be moving to some far off distant place - potentially even a different country, and I will need to have a new arrangement. The after school program is VERY DIFFICULT to get into - I actually put us on the waiting list 13 months ago. Thing One things that this program will be heaven. Constant social interaction! Because of her age (eegads, almost 9, and entering 4th grade), they get more independence, and self-direction. She has friends who are in the program. But Thing Two has not been so excited by the idea.

    In the end, I decided - after talking to the Babysitter and my various sources of reality-checks (sister, mother, Beloved), that the girls will do 3 days with Babysitter Extraordinaire, and 2 days at the after-school program. That way, they can slowly transition into the program, and hopefully will be ready to start 5 days/week upon Babysitter's graduation. If I can get Thing Two in 5 days/week - it's not a guarantee (the present opening is 3 days/week, but Babysitter needs 3 days to make this worth her while).

    Once the girls came home, everything slid into place just fine. Turns out there is plenty of room in my life for them :) (duh). They actually help me to put things into perspective, and keep my "other life" from getting tooooo big. They are wonderful people, and I'm pleased that they're my daughters.

    They don't start school until Thursday. In the meantime, my Beloved is taking off a couple of days from work so that I can attend school. I am skipping Evidence on Thursday so I can pick up the kids on their first day of school, and I have no classes on Fridays, so I"m going to pick them up then, and go with them for a tour of their after school program which they will start on Tuesday.

    Off to try and squeeze in my reading for Tuesday, since I don't have my Monday (no classes until 5:30 p.m.!).
    posted by Zuska @ 6:52 PM  
    3 Comments:
    • At Sunday, September 04, 2005 7:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

       
    • At Monday, September 05, 2005 12:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      In Katrina's aftermath, bloggers recount the devastation of New Orleans
      If you want to appear like you're at the cutting edge of net culture but can't be bothered to spend hours online, then never fear.
      Hi There, just blog surfing and came across yours – like it!
      I have a daily affirmation site. It is all to do with daily affirmation related things.
      Check it out if you find the time :-)

       
    • At Monday, September 05, 2005 9:49:00 PM, Blogger The Marpepps! said…

      Zuska,

      It's so nice to hear about your first week and how your lovely girls fit in. It's good to not let this world get overwhelming. What a joyous check you have. How lucky you are!

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?