parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Saturday, August 20, 2005
    Some answers to some questions
    Thanks to **~*E*~**, I have been asked 5 questions. Here go my answers!

    1) If you could go back 10 years – what would you tell your past self?

    10 years ago … I was married for less than a year, and at quite a crossroads. I was 22. I was not yet pregnant with Thing One. I believe that I would tell that Girl Who Was Me not to get lost. In my husband, in his goals, in his dreams. Not to get lost in the culture that we were already steeped in (but slowly climbing our way out of). As awful as it sounds (to me, anyway) -- I would tell my past self to stay on The Pill. It sounds awful to me because I *adore* Thing One. And if she wasn't conceived right then - would she be Thing One? But getting married and pregnant at young ages (21, and then 23) definitely increased the challenges in my life.

    2) Who is your favorite plaintiff?

    This required some going-through of last year's notes. i've decided upon the NAACP of Southern Burlington County, New Jersey. The case was a Supreme Court of New Jersey case regarding zoning and disparate impact issues. since we're mostly all back in school now and have full Westlaw/Lexis privileges - look it up: 336 A.2d 713 (N.J. 1975).

    3) Why did YOU decide to study law?

    I decided to study law in 1989. Why it took until 2004 is a long story (15 years long!). I just love the law. I love framing legal arguments. I love the kind of thinking involved, and my brain is well suited to it. I had thought of doing other things – like teaching, or counseling/social work. But I was better at the LSAT than the GRE. Probably b/c I love the law. And am suited to it :)

    4) What is your favorite city to visit and why?

    Berkeley, California. The reason why is because I used to live there, and I left many people behind who I like to visit. I love the fog. I also love that you can drive to many amazing places in a relatively short period of time. Including the obvious San Francisco, but also wine country, Monterey, Santa Cruz, and in the winter – the snow!! But Berkeley itself has a … relaxed-ness to it that I really love, and often miss.

    5) Your Favorite:

    -- Song lyric - Today it’s Jack Johnson’s “Good People.” Tomorrow will be something different. Perhaps Rufus Wainwright's Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, to wit:

    cigarettes and chocolate milk
    these are just a couple of my cravings
    everything it seems i like's a little bit stronger
    a little bit thicker
    a little bit harmful for me

    if i should buy jellybeans
    have to eat them all in just one sitting
    everything it seems i like's a little bit sweeter
    a little bit fatter
    a little bit harmful for me

    and then there's those other things
    which for several reasons we won't mention
    everything about them is a little bit stranger
    a little bit harder
    a little bit deadly

    -and on and on ;)

    *feeling compelled to state: I am not a cigarette smoker. I've actually never smoked a cigarette in my life.

    -- Movie Quote – “You Still Alive, Baby?” from Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

    Honestly, I do not have a favorite movie quote. I have plenty of favorite movies. I tend to see movies as much more visual than audio. If I could get a screenplay from Wings of Desire, I may link to it. Also, if I could get a still frame of this one quick shot recently seen in Broken Flowers that left me cracking up, I'd post that. But a single quote?

    I only picked this one, because my Beloved and I went to the movies last week, and during that time (which we are ALWAYS there for) in the 30 minutes before the movie starts, they run these slides. And they have these trivia questions, and sometimes the quotes they put out there are like, “who said, ‘hi!’?” The quotes are just so … bland, and not unique. Like they could have been in ANY movie.

    I never even saw Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

    --Piece of Advice – “It is easy when we are in prosperity to give advice to the afflicted." Aeschylus (i.e., I don't take advice from others well).
    posted by Zuska @ 1:38 PM  
    1 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?