parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Thursday, August 18, 2005
    They're baaaacckkk!
    My kids, that is. Therefore, we're doing things like the Zoo, seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, playing Trouble, and my old favorite card game .... Spit. I'm actually stunned that my 7 and 9 year olds can give me a run for my money in Spit. It's a speed game, and I quite honestly ROCK at it. My sister and I used to play it into the dead of the night when we were in high school. My girls aren't in high school. And yet, they *almost* beat me. I cannot give up a win, so it stayed at *almost.* They're on the verge of truly beating me, though.

    I finished up my research assistantship last Friday. Interesting that on my week "off," I probably worked about 60 hours on this project. I also managed to clean my house quite a bit, and go out to dinner a couple times with my Beloved. I think that knowing me, I would have been bored if all I was doing was reading novels and ... whatever else people do on days off while their Beloved is working and their kids are gone. I guess I could have gone to the beach ... but it was HOT! I don't like HOT. I have gotten to where I don't mind hot, or even Hot. But HOT?! Not for me.

    And yesterday I dragged the kids to school to drop off the first batch of OCI resume packets and to purchase my books. I was very pleased b/c books were only $345, rather than $500-$600 as in semesters past. This decrease in cost is directly related to my Teaching Facilitator-ship, b/c I am taking less classes than I otherwise would be. I only bought books for 3.

    Family Law, Advanced Criminal Procedure, and Evidence. I wonder if any of my readers remember my ponderings over whether I should force the seminar on Balancing Security and Liberty into my schedule? The dilemma had to do with how many papers I could write in one quarter. Then it ended up that Family Law and Balancing ... were pitted against each other in the schedule. So I felt like I had to choose a serious substantive topic which may very well be related to my future, or a fun topic, which makes me salivate, but will not realistically contribute to my future. I went with Family Law.

    But THEN!!! I spoke with my advanced crim professor, and HE said that he is planning on tying in a good bit of post 9/11 issues into the class. Pleasure is all mine!

    I'm also thinking that my next co-op (in the winter) will be done in the Criminal field. I'm hopeful I can make that work.
    posted by Zuska @ 10:39 AM  
    3 Comments:
    • At Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

      Yep, that's about how much my books normally were. Which is why I was blown away by the cost of my daughter's books for high school. Yes, it's a private school - but dang! $600 is a bit much.

       
    • At Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:30:00 PM, Blogger The Marpepps! said…

      Nice that your courses worked out that way. I am having a really hard time with mine. Not that I want law school to be any longer, but I definitely feel the crunch in what I *should* take in the brief time I have and what I *want* to take. Lucky you to have your cake and eat it too.

      Happy to hear your girls are back, that must be wonderful.

       
    • At Thursday, August 18, 2005 11:51:00 PM, Blogger Ems said…

      Here are you questions!
      1. If you could go back 10 years - what would you tell your past self?
      2. Who is your favorite plaintiff?
      3. Why did YOU decide to study law?
      4. What is your favorite city to visit and why?
      5. Your favorite:
      - - song lyric
      - - movie quote
      - - piece of advice

      Good luck starting back!

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?