parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Sunday, September 04, 2005
    Overload Volume II - The Supreme Court
    I was up late last night. We had seen a couple of Marx Brotherse movies with the kids -- "Family Movie Night" if you will. Thing One hates to fall asleep. Combine that with her being most of the way through Harry Potter IV, and well, sleep doesn't come. I don't like going to bed before they're asleep, my Beloved and I stayed up, waiting for the hush of sleeping children to fall upon the house, and were watching the Hurricane Coverage. Tucker Carlson was interviewing people, and things seemed pretty intense still. There was news that the projected body count will be between 10,000 and 15,000. Wow.

    Then in comes the "Special Report- Breaking News" little banner, and there's the news. Chief Justice Rehnquist has died.

    Wow. Again. Wow. I was quite stunned.

    I was also stunned when O'Connor resigned. Then the Roberts nomination came, and I was mad at my fellow liberals. I felt like they were passing a test, or rather, walking into a trap.

    I feel that Roberts is a solid nomination. I feel that there are some unknowns, but because of his relatively short stint on the Circuit Court before this proposed elevation, the unknowns are shared by all. I have a certain amount of respect for his intelligence.

    I would hate/do hate to see the Democrats (or is it just the "liberals" - not necessarily those in office who will be voting, but the PAC's ... Moveon.org, and the like) blast Roberts -- to reach and stretch and grope for things *to* blast. And then, when this inevitable event happened - the death (or at the time, potential resignation) of Rehnquist, Bush could appoint a REAL doozy, and then together with his cohorts shake their head and wave off any liberal dissent, any protests, and just say, "that's what they always say." And the Democrats would have lost their credibility, and instead of making some really important points, and fighting a really important fight, take on the appearance of "nit-picking and naysaying."

    But now that Rehnquist's passing has come during such a tumultuous time, I am not as certain that Bush will be as extreme. I am not sure he can carry extremism amidst his disaster of an approval rating, and his disaster of Katrina. I am not sure he has every Republican senator in his pocket like he did in November or December.

    So, I am hopeful.

    And as far as the new Chief Justice is concerned ... I think I prefer that he go ahead and give it to Scalia (as much as I completely disagree with that man), than give it to someone as green as Roberts. News commentators have speculated that Bush will re-nominate Roberts as the Chief Justice. I hope not. [update: surprise, surprise - i don't get what i want while Bush is in office - Roberts has been nominated chief. this really makes me pessimistic about Roberts in general. Bush has *too much* confidence in him for my taste at this point]

    So much to be watching. I suppose it is inevitable that the Court will continue to move to the right. But hopefully it won't be as damaging as a worst-case-scenario (i.e., overturning of Roe v. Wade/Casey; turning us into a church-state). And perhaps the new nominees will be more of a Stevens -- appointed by a Republican, yet widely known as a liberal justice (and who will, by the way, be the interim chief justice), or Powell, who has been slowly sliding to the left.

    I find it all fascinating, even though slightly scary.
    posted by Zuska @ 5:10 PM  
    2 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?