parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, September 13, 2005
    Interview Stuff
    So far, it's three down, four to go. For this round. This week. Then next week is another round. then comes the Winter Co-op round. Yikes.

    I am going to quit law school, and become a Professional Interviewer.

    My first interview went really well. It was with a firm with a very healthy Boston office, as well as about 6 other offices between here and Virginia. I liked the interviewer, we clicked nicely. The second interview fell a little flat - perhaps because of the comparison to the first. I'm fine with that, because it is one of the firms with a less .... friendly ... reputation.

    But today was my first choice firm. I was so happy when they granted me the interview, because I am very excited by this primarily Boston (with its only other office in D.C.) firm, which has a very strong pro bono record and commitment. And *interesting* pro bono work! The attorney I interviewed with is 5 years out of law school, and some of the projects listed on her bio make me salivate. She said she spends about 20% of her time on pro bono projects. (She is the one who brought it up, too.) I think this interview went very well. As things were winding down she went into "peer" mode, and we were laughing and chatting about some smaller things. Crossing my fingers on that one.

    Two of my remaining interviews are ones that I don't want to go to. They are very much the hive-type firm, and I don't want to be a worker-bee. I want to find a nice home. Two are ones that I do want to go to, and hope go well.

    My attitude right now is very much - "if it works, it works," if nothing clicks, then nothing is right. I feel like I'm so young in the law school game ... I am not allowing this to stress me out too much. I am rather pessimistic about getting any call backs. I feel like these Boston firms come to us because we're a Boston school, but all the other schools they go to are the top 10, and we're .... not. So take that into account, and then look at some of my own peers who are interviewing before and after me -- and i see my chances as pretty slim. Which honestly, is fine with me. I'm taking advantage of what is available to me with these interviews, and at the very least, I won't regret that I didn't try. At the very most - there may be a better fit for me out there somewhere in the world.

    And since I'm so very busy with other things, I have been able to keep the interviews in the back of my mind. The class that I teach is filling up my time to say the least. We had an all day training this Saturday, and then it was my sub-team's turn to create the substantive lesson plan for this week's class, and we worked on that all day Sunday. This was one of the very few times in the past 13 months that i've given up a weekend. It really could have been worse. Regardless of my plans, my parents were coming to town to take the girls to a zoo that they had wanted to go to while they were there for the week a couple of weeks ago - and Thing One had a sleepover on Saturday night. I got home around 6 p.m., and went out to dinner with my Beloved, my parents, and Thing Two. I had a very yummy dinner, and practically GUZZLED 3 glasses of wine in a feeble attempt to calm the stress. We did have a nice evening. Then I was back at school for 8 a.m.

    I was convinced that between interviews, and my night class yesterday and individual meetings with my students that I would not have a chance to do the reading for my REAL CLASSES which are all on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But I succeeded. Just barely.

    Apparently it shows on my face how much I am trying to juggle right now, because I ran into my Evidence/Advanced Crim Professor in the hallway yesterday on the way to my 5:30 p.m. class and he said, "Man, you look so fatigued latey! What is going on? Are you okay?"

    So I guess it shows. I think I'll go to bed early tonight. So my interviewers tomorrow don't tell me how "fatigued" I look. harumpf.
    posted by Zuska @ 7:58 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?