parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, June 28, 2005
    Hello, again, dear blog!!
    I have the day off from work today ... so I was able to go for a STRENUOUS walk for an hour, and now I get to post on my blog! While sipping coffee and blaring Rufus Wainright through the house (I'm pretty sure that most of the other people in my building work). Such luxury!

    Today is my kids' last day of school, which is why I took the day off. Crazy that their last day is June 28. When we lived in CA (last year) their last day was June 12. This year, now that we're in New England, it was supposed to be June 23, but then there were snow days. Lots of snow days. From blizzards and stuff like that (which we loved). But when I was a kid, in New England, we had days "built in" so that if they said the last day of school was June 23, it was June 23 unless something happened that made us miss like TWO WEEKS of school. But here, even one snow day would have pushed back the last day of school.

    I kind of like it, though, b/c my kids spend the summers with their father in the Midwest. This year is proving to be the shortest summer b/c of various school calendars (theirs, his, mine ... he's a professor). They leave on July 5, and come home to Momma on 8/20.

    Many posts may be expected during 7/5 and 8/20 ;)

    My summer job is the same. Fluctuating between satisfied and not so much satisfied. I have spent many many many many years of my life as an assistant. Call it a secretary, a paralegal, an administrative assistant, and legal assistant, whatever you want. Even a freelancer. But ... I started organizing, typing, maintaining exhaustive amounts of info in my brain for immediate recall as my boss needs them, answering phones, charming clients/customers, and scheduling since I was basically 13 years old. And I went to law school in order to get away from that.

    But this job makes me feel like I'm not getting away from that. I'm organizing the trial schedule, I'm having conference calls with attorneys about the status of their case, I'm keeping case names straight with case facts for the judge (who is an AWESOME person, and is very respectful and good), and that's like ... it. We do talk about the merits of cases, and about law, and about attorney conduct, and I do feel that the judge appreciates my input (and follows it sometimes), but I'm not doing much LAW. Not the kind that fills up a resume too well.

    Another judge has given me some writing and research assignments, though, and I did well, so my judge kind of raised his eyebrows, and I think will start giving me more. But I don't have that much longer. I'm done on August 5.

    And then back to school! I miss school. I love school.
    posted by Zuska @ 12:40 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?