parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, July 03, 2007
    10 and 11 years too young, respectively
    Last night was frustrating. We had planned on going bowling in the afternoon - the whole fam damily - but Beloved called to confirm their hours and costs, and it turns out that they didn't open until 5:30. No problem - I went to the library and got some work done, Beloved planned an early dinner, the girls hung around at home reading and making sculptures out of frosting and graham crackers (I never said that Beloved was a good influence, did I?).

    At 6 p.m., we finally left the house.

    At 6:35 p.m., the woman at the counter of the VERY loud and VERY dark bowling alley took our shoe sizes, and as she reached under the counter to get the shoes, she said, "oh, and just to let you know, after 6 p.m., we're 21 and over."

    After 6.

    I said (being brilliant and all), "It's 6:35." She said, "Yeah, you're right."

    So why was she giving us shoes? We had short people with us. Very short people. Who have yet to grow any boobies whatsoever. They can't be mistaken for short 22 year olds. They just can't.

    We left. The girls were MOST disappointed. I promised to take them back today - but they continued with the tears, b/c today meant no Beloved.

    We soothed them with promises of Pac Man and devouring their aforementioned sculptures, and trudged back home.

    We did to back today, though. Just the 3 of us. I had a blast. E had a blast. J was frustrated with her 700 gutter balls, but eventually pulled out of her funk enough to listen to my instructions, which got her considerably more pins in the prone position. But in the end, she lost both games (it would have been hard to beat me, what with my 2 strikes and one spare ... heh heh heh) and turned into a crying, whining, pain in my butt over it.

    I don't really have much sympathy for a 9 year old crying b/c she didn't win. She went through that phase when she was 5 or 6. She moved past it. She learned where her strengths and weaknesses were, and lost with as much pride as she won. Where did it go?

    I know. It left for the middle of the country ahead of her. They're both a little "off" with the impending transition, and I tried to pull out extra-understanding and extra-hugs. I stopped glowering at her, and she snapped out of it, and by the time we returned to our town on the T, she was happy again, and told Beloved that she lost with no sign of her past tearfulness.

    Now we're at the library. Trying to soak in as much of my daily internet requirements as the timer on this damned computer will allow me.

    And I am NOT studying. When we go home, the girls are supposed to clean their room, in preparation for Thursday/Friday's departure, and perhaps I'll get some work done then.

    I'm sure I won't fail the bar exam, though. Right? I mean, they leave on Friday, and then I have nothing stopping me from studying 20 hours a day. Right? So I'll likely pass? Don't you think?

    Tomorrow: Fireworks by the Charles River.

    Maybe I'll bring my notecards .....
    posted by Zuska @ 3:27 PM  
    1 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?