parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Saturday, May 12, 2007
    Last Day of Classes
    Yesterday was my last law school class. It was a little surreal, because our classroom was moved due to 1L exams, and we ended up being put in a classroom I had almost all my first-year classes in, but haven't been in since. I also was in IP, which is taught by the same professor who I had for 1L Property. It felt like 3 years ago - I remember the Property review session perfectly, and I'm pretty sure I sat in the same seat.

    When we left, my friends were VERY happy. Doing dances and such.

    I wasn't. Not really. I was nostalgic, and also a little sad. I've really enjoyed school. I've enjoyed being in class again, and I've enjoyed this sort of learning process. I don't want it to continue, and I'm not combing the land for the "perfect" ph.d. program. However, I'm not doing a dance, really.

    I think my friends who went to law school straight from undergrad were the ones who were happy. They just finished their 20th year straight of school (right? Is my math okay here?)

    I had 10 years off. I think it made me more appreciative, and now a little more sad.

    But uh, I can't wait for exams to be over. And I can't wait to be done with the bar. And I can't wait to go to Europe with my Beloved, and I actually really can't wait to start work/my career, and I'm optimistic (to say the least) about the future.

    So I wasn't that sad.

    Labels: ,

    posted by Zuska @ 10:02 AM  
    4 Comments:
    • At Saturday, May 12, 2007 11:42:00 AM, Blogger She says said…

      I felt the same way at the end of my last class. Since I finished on the half-year (December rather than May), there wasn't anyone else going through the same mix of emtions with me. It was 3+ years for me, so leaving it behind left me a bit nostalgic. And apprehensive for the next hurdles such as the bar. But I also felt a great deal of satisfaction at having not only survived law school but also thrived through it. I too loved it. I was lucky that my prof in my last law class ever gave us a little speech about remembering our shared experience and the community we had developed. He too was a GULC grad who went through the evening program, and his speech was a nice closing on my classroom experience.

      Now it's hard to believe that I've been out for about a year and half. How did that happen? I do miss the community a bit, but I am building that in my job too.

      Congrats on finishing! It's a tremendous accomplishment! Good luck with exams.

       
    • At Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:48:00 PM, Blogger Harmless Error said…

      Congrats! Have fun at graduation, and let me give you one word of advice: bring a bottle of water with you. It was hot and muggy last year, and there was A) no water at the actual ceremony and B) no water at the reception! Which meant, naturally, that I was forced to quench my unbelievable thirst with the never-ending plastic flutes of champagne. I think when I introduced a certain professor to my mother I might have said I loved him. In a very teacher-y way of course.

       
    • At Monday, May 14, 2007 11:49:00 AM, Blogger Butterflyfish said…

      >>I had 10 years off. I think it made me more appreciative, and now a little more sad.

      Yeah... I actually feel that way about the end of 1L... weird.

      Congrats on almost being done

       
    • At Monday, May 14, 2007 12:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I suspect you're right. Even three years after the end of my 18 years of taking classes, I'm really glad to be done with them. (Dissertation work is different, even though I'm still in school.)

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?