parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Thursday, March 29, 2007
    random sharing*
    Between Beloved and I, there's a lot of .... uh, "old fogie" music in this house. Me and my James Taylor and Billy Joel; him and his Who and Queen and Steve Miller Band. Both of us and our Fleetwood Mac. The list goes on.

    But we both keep apprised of recent stuff.

    I found and liked Death Cab for Cutie.

    He found liked OK Go.

    I actually "found them" at the library or whatever some time ago, but wasn't so keen on them. But when I started working out at the gym recently, and was looking for some music more conducive to reaching my "15 minute mile" goal, he threw it at me as an option, and I'm liking them a lot now.

    So, when we plug our shuffles into the Bose, there's quite a mix.

    I didn't quite go into the very WEIRD music that Beloved also dabbles in. Some of it is for the purpose of making the girls disks of "silly songs," some b/c, well, Beloved's a little weird.

    When I came home the other day, E said, "Mom, you know that song, "mediocre people do extraordinary things"? I said no. She said, "it came on [Beloved's] iPod." Which really narrowed it down not at all. I meant to ask him later what the song was, but in typical Zuska fashion, I forgetted.

    Today, at the gym, I was sweating buckets on the elliptical, and an OK Go song came on. It was pretty enough. Then they started saying, "mediocre people do exceptional things some of the time" and I thought --- HEY!! This is E's song!!!

    The last time she picked up on a song she really liked, it was Death Cab for Cutie. Some song that says "highway, highway, highway" over and over - which I don't really like. But she loved it. Out of the blue.

    I think she is properly in sync with her generation.

    J has one foot in past generations still. She's most into The Who. I don't have any of them on my iPod. So, she's off in her room practicing her recorder. Next year, she ditches the freaking squeak pipe, and goes to the violin! We are a house of strings! Beloved played the viola, E does the Cello, and J will do the violin. Cool. I don't do crap. Well, I do play my iPod.

    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.



    *random seems to be an "in" word right now. Not sure if it's just my kids' school, or if it's nation wide (since I haven't left my town in some time). but EVERYTHING is random. "and then some random 4th grade came burning through the park on his bike, and he said, "hi, E" and ignored my friend, and just burned right in between us on the bike. It was so random." [and also -- "burned?" what the hell).

    Labels: ,

    posted by Zuska @ 7:31 PM  
    4 Comments:
    • At Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      in defense, i have about as much 90's music as i do 70's music; the 80's were a lost decade to me for a number of reasons, but they *are* represented on the pod.

      j responds well to heavy choird guitar, the who as much as ok go. there just isn't as much melodic crunchy guitar pop for her to be more contemporary.

      and i seriously doubt death cab and ok go put e "in sync" with her generation; her friends are listening to the madonna wannbes, not alt/indie acts, so she's a bit ahead of the curve.

       
    • At Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:09:00 PM, Blogger Zuska said…

      See? More proof that she's still advanced.

      he he he.

       
    • At Friday, March 30, 2007 2:50:00 PM, Blogger Beanie said…

      It's not that weird...when I was in high school in the early 90's, I had a number of acid rock tapes in heavy rotation. I used to listen to Cream and Iron Butterfly.

       
    • At Friday, March 30, 2007 3:36:00 PM, Blogger Zuska said…

      Well, so did I - in high school. Our favorite radio station was one of classic rock, and nothing that Beloved is introducing her to is new to me.

      But she's EIGHT.

      Decidedly NOT high school.

      I think the other part that I find (noteworthy, not really weird) is that they're so different, still. E likes the alternative stuff, and J hates it, b/c she can't dance or do "air guitar" to it.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?