parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Wednesday, March 14, 2007
    No Show Times Two
    Today, I left my evening class at 6 p.m. It was supposed to start at 5:30. Remember last time? Yeah, he did it again.

    We all started talking about leaving at 5:45, but I decided to stay. I really felt like he was going to walk in at any moment. At 6, a crowd on the other side of the room had enough and started packing up. That made my side of the room say, "hell, yeah!" and 2/3ds of the class ended up leaving.

    I took my time at my locker, sorting out what I had to do at home tonight and calling Beloved to let him know I'd be home earlier. As I was walking out, I caught a glimpse of the prof walking through the hallway. It was 6:12.

    A friend said that they felt bad leaving - that we were committed to being in that room from 5:30 - 7 p.m., and while they felt that they were unwilling to stay past 7, they didn't feel like it was appropriate to leave.

    I always am in my own category, though. People who thought that they shouldn't leave say, "oh, but it's different for you, because you have kids at home, and of course you should go!"

    But that wasn't my thinking - my thinking was - if he keeps walking in at 6 (or so) and no one acts like they give a shit, then why would he stop? Simple parenting techniques.

    Signing up for a 5:30 class (which was actually 5:00 when I signed up for it, grrr argh) does not mean that I have signed away my rights to the entire evening. Nor does it mean that I have agreed to sit in a room doing NOTHING for 30 minutes, when I have plenty of other things to do. I agreed to sit in that room for 90 minutes to be taught a certain subject. Which I am not being taught while a professor is driving around in circles looking for parking (as it was explained to us last time). (There is, after all, a train which stops within 1.5 blocks of our classroom in two directions -- oh, and another one (a different line) which stops approximately 2 blocks from our classroom -- no parking required).

    So my fear ---

    A couple classmates suggested as we sat doing NOTHING that we shift class, that it be from 6:15 to 7:45 instead.

    I have no interest in being at school until 7:45 two nights a week. None. If I did, I would ahve signed up for such a class.

    Problem is --- I have 12 credits right now. I need 12 credits to graduate. We are outside the add/drop period. In the quarter system, having missed 2 weeks of class is a big deal ... so what do I pick up? (Actually, there's a class I was interested in that meets one day a week, from 3:30 to 6:30, but couldn't take because it conflicted with this one ... and I know the prof, and can probably beg her to let me in.)

    I am a very unhappy camper right now. Very unhappy.

    I shouldn't be unhappy until I know what's going to happen, but I am well known for my ability to be unhappy about the what-ifs in life. I wrote to a friend who stayed in the classroom, and hopefully she'll get back to me about whether it looks like the class time will shift. If it's going to, then I'm getting out - one way or another. And if I'm going to get out, I need to do it in the next couple of days.

    Labels:

    posted by Zuska @ 6:36 PM  
    1 Comments:
    • At Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:24:00 PM, Blogger googiebaba said…

      Hi Zuska,
      Considering the amount of money you are paying to attend that class, I think you should be furiuos.

      I can't believe I am giving you advice - I obviously don't know the entire situation, but I say, switch classes!

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?