parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Wednesday, January 17, 2007
    planning
    Every quarter, since my first year of school, I've had to choose my classes based on name and course description only until about 6 weeks before the quarter starts, when they release the actual calendar. Every time, I've had the understanding that it could very well happen that the course schedule could make it so that 3 of my desired courses are being taught at the same time, and I'd have to readjust my thinking.

    I've also known, every quarter, that it is possible that a class I *really* want to/have to take is offered at the world's shittiest time.

    But it's never happened. Other than the fall of my 2L year, when I chose Family Law over Balancing Security & Liberty (and it was a bad choice, at that), I haven't really had conflicts.

    Now, however, I do.

    This is the last quarter I can finally take that damned class, and of COURSE, it's at the same time as Trusts and Estates. Damnit. (okay, not the EXACT same time - Balancing Security & Liberty is at 8:00 on T, Th; Trusts and Estates is at 8:30 on T,Th, F).

    Also, Securities Regulations, which is my one absolute MUST class this quarter, is from 5-6:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays. Who me? Have a family? Couldn't be. (grrr, argh). It will be fine. At least it isn't until 7:30, or 8:30 or even 9:30, which I've had to deal with in the past.

    Advice, please? Should I take the bar course (Trusts and Estates), which is 4 credits, supposed to be relatively "easy" (short 1-2 papers due each week, with ONE of them expanded and improved upon as a final grade), or a "fun" course which will most assuredly be a paper course.

    I also have to eliminate either Intellectual Property, First Amendment, or International Law. I'm thinking of going with the "things I may be able to use in the future" and getting rid of 1st Am. I've had to do several 1st Am projects on co-op, and have done fine without the course. I'm pretty sure IP is staying - not only do I think it will come in handy, but it's my first year property professor who is teaching, and I love her. International Law is the same prof who taught me Corps, and honestly, I didn't think so highly of him (to say the least). However, this will be a smaller class, and I'm hoping for different.

    If I get rid of 1st Am., I could have gym time (I like exercising in the morning). International Law is at noon on Mondays and Weds., and that would be my first class on those days.

    Decisions, decisions.

    But again, advice? Please? Especially from those who have taken the bar exam - how useful was taking Trusts and Estates in school? For those who didn't take it - did you wish that you did? I know not all states are the same, but still.


    Update: I am liking the look of my schedule with Balancing Security & Liberty; International Law; Intellectual Property; and Security Regulations. Unfortunately, I have ONE class on T/Th (no matter which I pick), and everything else is Monday/Wednesday. But the one class is 1st thing in the morning, and then I have the rest of the day free. Maybe I'll even help out with the girls' play practices during the first part of the quarter, before things get hairy at my school.

    We also have a bar prep course that is offered for free (and no credits) on Friday afternoons from 1:45 - 4:45. I think I'm going to plan on attending. Maybe that will make up for any hypothetical decision I make to say NO to T&E in favor of the fun class.
    posted by Zuska @ 6:49 AM  
    1 Comments:
    • At Wednesday, January 17, 2007 7:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I didn't take Trusts and Estates, and by all accounts do not need to (we shall see when bar prep comes around, but BarBri does a pretty good job). I vote nay on that class.

      As for the three-way tie - nix 1st Amendment. You're obviously leaning that way, so you might as well go with your instincts!

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?