parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, December 19, 2006
    The Last Post of the Morning
    Work is actually picking up this week.

    One very interesting thing: an attorney I am working with is writing a law review article. She's super busy, and decided she needed a crony to help out. That would be me. Now I'm kind of writing the article, and will be getting publication credit.

    This co-op that I didn't really want to do is turning out to be the most valuable of all 4 (well, other than the fact that the Summer Firm gave me a JOB!!!). I'm doing a TON of work, I may end up with a publication credit that can go on my resume, and uh, well, that may be it. But I'm really liking this job, and I'm learning a TON.

    I'm getting very conversant - through many different assignments - in the law in MA pertaining to close corporations. You know why this is fun? B/c a lot of close corporations are run by families. There's this one HYSTERICAL case - oh yeah, I quoted it here. It's about a father and son warring over the family business, and the judge is constantly commentating in the decision about the time that was wasted listening to witness after witness offer evidence as to one or the other's (father or son) worth or despicable-ness.

    It's like divorce law, but without the child support and division of assets. he.

    My last quandary: The writing contest I wanted to do. I think if I'm going to do it, I need to start working on it right after Christmas. I think I want to do it. I need to re-read some of the Federalist Papers, and read others for the first time. It's that different-ness about the topic that makes me really want to write the paper. I want to look at the "founding fathers" as well as some international judiciaries. I think I could write a solid paper. And if I won ... (pfft, as if) -- it would be $10,000 less in school debt.

    I think I need to do it. It would mean I'll have to really sort of draw some serious lines at work - go back to the mentality I meant to have before I started and loved the work --- take nothing home with me. I worked on stuff at home pretty much every night last week. It was fun stuff - death penalty cases (pro bono project), law review articles (another one, which was abandoned b/c the case sucked), prisoners' rights cases, and the like. I purposefully brought the most interesting stuff home, and did the drier stuff at work.

    But if I'm going to write this paper, I need to not bring work home. It's due March 1, or something like that. I could just do my typical cram (you know, start the damned thing on February 21), but not if I want to WIN. The contest is nation-wide.

    I am so sure that a student from my low-ranked school would ever win such a contest.

    But I still think it's worth trying, and will be something I'll be proud to have done.

    Labels: ,

    posted by Zuska @ 9:16 AM  
    2 Comments:
    • At Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Those contests really don't look at rank of school, but at quality of finished product. So if you do well and place high, people will step back and go "whoa". And that's always a cool feeling. :)

      Good luck!

       
    • At Friday, December 22, 2006 4:15:00 PM, Blogger CM said…

      Corporations, blech! :)

      I agree with Meg -- I don't see why the ranking of your school would matter when you're submitting work you did. Besides, even if you didn't win, maybe you could publish your paper somewhere (and if nowhere else, you could always publish it here!)

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?