parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Friday, October 20, 2006
    exhaustion and starvation
    i did my nutty run-around with the kids today. it went well! i had plenty of time on all sides. the sad thing was that it started rain literally the SECOND the kids started pouring out of the school, so I had to walk them the 8 blocks in the rain. my kid is the only one who is used to having to walk in the rain, and the others were sort of narrowing their eyes at me for not having a car.

    I have to say, at 5:30 when it was time to go back and get e., and then walk to get j., and the skies had opened up and dumped 9,000 gallons of water upon my head, along with assorted leaves and other fading vegetation, I rolled my eyes at MYSELF for not having a car. Either that, or not having on my more powerful rain gear. i had on a pretty water resistant rain coat, but otherwise, jeans. stretchy-jeans are MOST uncomfortable when wet.

    BUT - i love kids these ages. 8 and 10. they're conversant, and interesting, yet still INTERESTED. they listen and are curious.

    my nutty run-around, however, did not allow for lunch. so i'm starved. i had a bagel at 9:30, and some tea, and then just water. now it's 6:58, and I've ordered our Chinese food, but they warned me that it will take a LOOOOOOONG TIIIIIMMMMMEEE for it to get here.

    there's a girl i sit next to in tax who has a real hippy heritage, as far as i can tell (she was one of my fellow teacher-people last year while we were 2Ls), and today, for the first time ever, when i told someone that we celebrate solstice, she said, "oh yeah, that's what we celebrated when i was growing up." that's never happened before.

    i think i want her to be my friend. sometimes, we share a book (b/c our table is so stupidly small), and once, i tried to the turn the page, and it wouldn't turn, so i went to lick my finger, and then i stopped myself, realizing it was HER book, and thinking it would perhaps be kind of gross to smear my spit on HER book, and she saw me and she said, "you can lick it, I don't care." so, I think we're 1/2 way there. to being friends.

    oh, and e's teacher wrote back and said the following, and ONLY the following: "she will miss social studies and it will be her job to make up her social studies work as homework." so, my daughter will be punished for her cognitive abilities by causing her to make up the work which is not challenging enough for her. we already struggle so much to fit this year's increase in homework into our day/night. we'll see how it goes.
    posted by Zuska @ 6:53 PM  
    3 Comments:
    • At Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I was in a GT program in 3 to 5th grade. It was a half-day pull out program twice a week and I was bussed to the public school. My 4th and 5th grade teachers couldn't handle it for whatever reason. I had to eat lunch in the classroom to make up the math worksheets I had missed from the morning. Long division drill and kill excercises. Sorry to see education hasn't changed since the mid-80s.
      Butterflyfish

       
    • At Saturday, October 21, 2006 8:27:00 AM, Blogger Zuska said…

      i don't know, i think 45 minutes once a week in the same building is a great improvement over what you're describing! I would definitely refuse the privilege if it was like that.

       
    • At Monday, October 23, 2006 9:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      FWIW:

      GirlChild did the same sort of program. She loved it, and thrived. She still remembers a great deal about it, and it was a confidence booster. She sometimes thinks she's not as smart as her brother, no matter how often I tell her otherwise. The program was good for that.

      Having said that, I think their success is highly dependant on the quality of the instructor

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?