parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, October 04, 2005
    Winter Seems Situated
    I believe I am set for the Winter. It has been a hard process, but the decision is pretty much Made.

    I had decided not to work for the Child Advocacy place (2 blocks from my home!), because of its similarity to the summer I had just spent. I'm looking for a Winter of Writing, and this place wouldn't have given me that.

    Then I interviewed with a local D.A.'s office in the Appellate Unit, and I *loved* it. Oh, I loved it. I loved the description of the work, I loved the people (or at least one of them - who was the boss - so that's important). I felt a slight chatter at my shoulder about working to Keep People In Prison, which is not something I really have thought of doing since I was a Republican, but the work seems so great.

    When I got that offer, I was planning on taking it. I canceled an interview with a firm, and had decided that's it. I'm taking that job.

    But then I received a call from what was my first choice. The local chapter of a nationally prominant civil rights advocacy group (trying to remain anonimous). They hadn't gotten to me sooner because they recently moved and my school didn't have their new address, and so they didn't receive the materials, but "we're really interested in you!" So we had a quick phone interview, and I was given an offer.

    So. I'm pretty sure that's where I'm going. It's constitutional issues (1st amendment, pro-choice, gay rights, post 9/11), which would be my DREAM of a career focus, but seems so unattainable. Having this opportunity is just fantastic for me. Plus, they actually pay money. The D.A.'s office doesn't. This Rights Group is just work-study, but it's -- money. It also will give me more than enough of a Winter of Writing. Constant Writing.

    I am sad to be turning down the D.A.'s office. I really liked them. I wish now that I had SIX chances to do co-op, rather than just 4. I still want to try and work for a federal judge, and I'd still like to get a Summer Associate, and that's .... it. I may scrap the federal judge, and see if I can't do the D.A. next winter. And perhaps I will get rejected by all Big Firms, and will therefore be free for something else in the summer. We'll see.

    I wish this wasn't so bittersweet because of the required rejection of another really fun thing. But I am grateful to be in the position of choosing between two things I'm really excited about.
    posted by Zuska @ 10:51 PM  
    3 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?