parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Sunday, September 25, 2005
    Stressing Through Writing.
    I am very untired. It is 11:42, and I have to get up at 5:30 so I can go for a walk/run/stair climb thingy, which I'm trying desperately to put into my daily routine. My mind, however, is racing with all I have to do, and all the hurdles I must get over in the next weeks.

    I am not sure how many weeks.

    Right now, the first hurdle is My Brother's Wedding. It is next Thursday. I'm sure I've whined and bitched about this here in the past, but this is MY blog, and I can whine and bitch as much as I want.

    The wedding is on a Thursday, because it costs less per person than it would if it were on a Saturday. Or a Friday. Or a Sunday. Or perhaps any other day which would avoid all of your guests missing work (and in my case -- school). My daughters are the Flower Girls (i.e., Cude and Cuddlies), and therefore, their presence at the Rehearsal is Mandatory.

    Everything I find out is through my Mother. Nothing from my brother, nothing from his fiance. Just My Mother. Where I must be, when I must be there.

    The Rehearsal is Wednesday at 5, and the dinner is Wednesday at 6. We live 2.5 hours away from the Rehearsal, and My Mother has stated we must first arrive at her house, and then proceed to to the Rehearsal Together.

    My kids get out of school at 2.

    Hmmmmm. They also, believe it or not, are expected to attend school on Thursdays and Fridays. Imagine.

    I also am expected to attend school on Wednesday afternoons, Thursdays from 8:30 to 5:30, and Fridays .... well, not really attend, but rather work toward accomplishing goals.

    What goals, you may ask? Well, see, I have TWO PAPERS due on October 11. I'm not completely clear on this, but I *think* that October 11 is the MONDAY after October 6.

    I have yet to start on these papers. (Unless you count spending 30 minutes in the computer lab clicking the "print" button on Westlaw for every case and article citing to the case that one professor wants a paper on -- I don't. Because although the stack of paper IS impressive (or at least exceedingly wasteful), I have yet to read it.)

    Furthermore, My Mother is driving me crazy. She has been shopping for the dress she will wear at the wedding since, ummmmmm, July. She has been talking about the dress, emailing me about the dress, sending me links to/about/regarding the dress since that time. She also sends me links to pictures of dresses which she apparently thinks will suit ME. I do not click on these links. I do not have time to click on links.

    She also sends me dresses, brings me dresses, and tells me to buy dresses. In the meantime, I'm getting up at 5:30 a.m., spending that time until 12:30 a.m. when I go to bed struggling to find time to breathe, let alone parent my children and be a partner to my love.

    Talking to my sister fantastico today, I discovered that this set of priorities I have set for myself (you know, parenting and schooling before shopping) has really upset my mother. She feels that I am not addressing it. That I am being irresponsible. She apparently does not know when I plan to address it, and that I am a problem.

    She also apparently feels that I am the World's Worst Daughter because I did not invite her to the cabin in honor of my daughter's birthday. I knew that she was upset about this. I spoke with her about it on two ocassions. I tried to explain to her - "my family needs some time, we need some time for 'just us,' which we have not had since the girls returned from their father's house." That is true. Because my mother has been here, or we have been there every single weekend. She did not understand. I spoke with my father, and I explained to him - Daddy, we can't drive 2.5 hours south, and then back home, and then 2.5 hours north. He said "of course not," He said he understood, and he would work to try and explain to my mother. He said they cannot go to the cabin, b/c she has planned 3 events at their house for this wedding, and they have work to do at the house. He said they cannot go to the cabin, b/c it is also HIS birthday this weekend, and he wants to do something for HIS birthday.

    Apparently, his talking with her didn't work, because she continued to complain to my sister. grrrrrrrrr.

    Have I mentioned how much $$ this wedding is costing? It is costing a lot. I don't have a car. I feel that I do not need a car, I do not want a car. But that means that when I go somewhere, I must rent a car. The car for the wedding is costing me $224 before insurance. Since I do not have a car, I do not have insurance. Insurance costs $25/day.

    My Beloved starts a new job tomorrow. He is going to have to take off time from his new job in order to come to the wedding, But he cannot take off enough time to go to the Rehearsal (not being a flower girl himself, I think that's okay). So, he is going to take a train, on Thursday. Another expense. And when I go to pick him up from the train station, I am CERTAIN that my mother is going to pitch 17,000 fits. "He should just take a bus from new haven!" and i will have to find a way to explain to her that I need the 30 minutes of drive time in order to catch my breath and keep from yelling at her. Only, without saying that.

    And I will need to find a way to be working on my papers! And that will be hard! There is a brunch on Friday, and more stuff going on on Saturday, and my sister will be in town from California, and perhaps with her beau, who I have yet to meet, and definitely with her son, who I have not seen in a year! So it's not like it will be time to go and hole up in the library.

    Which leaves me wondering ... if I have to find time in the next 1.5 weeks to write 2 papers and keep up with my classes, how will I find time to get a dress?

    ha ha.

    Maybe I'll just wear jeans.
    posted by Zuska @ 11:42 PM  
    1 Comments:
    • At Monday, September 26, 2005 9:22:00 AM, Blogger manababies said…

      Weddings. Bleh. I used to think they were fun, until I had kids. Now I usually blow them off, hehe. Although I know you can't since this is your brother and your kids play a part in the whole thing. I've noticed that many times couples overlook the real-life things we have to deal with in order to attend their wedding and all the extra activities. Well, I take that back... not everyone is like that, but I've had some bad experiences. But I think it's just hard for them to understand. :(

      Good luck in getting more sleep. I will have to turn to you in the event I do decide to go back to school one day. I'd probably be to scared to do it. The best thing would be to become a hermit and hire a nanny. In my dreams though. :)

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?