parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Saturday, October 01, 2005
    Interview Update
    First, Wednesday:

    I had the interview with the child welfare place. I was underwhelmed. I think it is mostly because of the timing in relation to the co-op with the family law judge. And, as much as their specialty is child welfare (as opposed to straight divorce-type of family law), their specialty isn't exactly what my ideal would be. They also came off as much less of a "public advocacy group" than as a "group of sole practitioners using non-profit status for their benefit." There is also some word around school that some of these attorneys are NOT easy to work with.

    It would be a position that requires me to drive around in the car of the attorneys a LOT, to make a lot of phone calls, and for most writing to be writing reports ... not memos, not motions.

    I am due for a writing co-op. The Judge over the summer didn't give me writing, and I feel like I need something other than my Legal Practice memo for a writing sample.

    Right now, their proximity to home and the girls' school is not outweighing the negatives I walked away from there with.

    Thursday:

    I had my first call back interview. It went much better than I would have hoped. I think it had some to do with the fact that I was interviewing with all partners, rather than younger-than-me associates. I think that the younger-than-me associates who came on campus were less than thrilled with me as a potential peer. Partners may not get that feeling from me. One of the negatives of being 10+ years older than my classmates, and than recent graduates. The "click" isn't there. Not without more than 20 minutes.

    But out of 4 partners, I think that at least two of the interviews went excellent, and the other two I think went very well. We'll see. I liked the firm. As I walked in for the interview, there was an announcement that they (a 9-office firm) are about to merge with a local Boston firm, increasing the Boston office (where I'd be) by 200%? (from 100 to 300 attorneys). I knew the news was coming, and both the firms have similar "cultures," and both were optimistic that their culture would survive the merger. I remain optimistic.

    Monday:

    I will interview with the criminal co-op for the winter. Right now, I'm optimistic about THAT one. They only asked to interview two people from my school, and the other has gotten an offer from somewhere else -- an offer that would be hard to refuse if it were me. I may therefore have a very good chance at an offer for this position.

    Thursday:

    My brother's wedding. I bought a dress after my call back interview on Thursday. I love my dress. I am very happy.

    Next Tuesday:

    I have two papers due. I have barely started on either. One is more formal than the other, but both have me stressed. I'm trying to focus on the more formal paper for this weekend, so I can hopefully get a chance to speak with my professor either Monday or Tuesday to be sure that all is well, and then I can wrap it up over the wedding weekend, and spit out the less formal paper.

    In the meantime, I missed all 3 classes in honor of the Call Back Interview and Wedding Dress Shopping on Thursday, we have no classes on Tuesday due to Rosh Hashanah, and I am missing again on Thursday for the wedding. Probably not good, but the fact that I'm not too stressed over reading for classes while stressing over papers is probably a little good.
    posted by Zuska @ 10:43 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?