parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Monday, September 18, 2006
    no tax shelter
    today was the deadline for my applications for my final stint of working in the winter. I get to apply to 10 places, and they all have different requirements. all of them want a resume, of course, but some want writing samples, some want other co-op evaluations, some want course evaluations, some want references. It was okay - i was ready. Julez and I went to Kinkos on Saturday while Emz was at a friend's and Beloved was making meat sauce fantastico, made all hte copies, and then came home where I assembled all the packages.

    All set, right?

    No. I went to the office this a.m., and found that I forgot that I needed 6 extra copies of my resume and 3 extra copies of all supplemental materials. I had allotted a period during the afternoon with no classes to read my INCREDIBLY SHORT tax assignment (seriously, like a total of 8 pages). But instead, I was making copies and reassembling packages.

    I was hanging out in our common area afterward, relatively comfortable with showing up to Tax without having read, when I ran into a classmate who reminded me that my row was "on call" for the reading. He didn't remind me. He told me. It somehow went over my head. Probably because i knew that I had more than enough time to prepare, and would certainly be ready to answer some piddly question. ha ha!! my procrastination and the co-op demands conspired against me!
    • it's not my fault.
    • i didn't have time.
    • they didn't tell me!!!
    No, just kidding. it was my fault - i should have had time, and they DID tell me. This is my third time in this process, for crying out loud!

    I shrugged and said, "i'm not going." there was no way in HELL I was going to show up for a class I hadn't read for, and be CALLED ON!! I'd never done that in my life, and am NOT going to start as a 3L. No fucking way.

    But the boy from my class convinced me that the assignment was short enough that I could wolf down my salad, and read the stupid 8 pages.

    So I did. and I didn't get called on.

    which is a good thing.

    Why? Since i did quickly digest 8 pages of Code and conjecture thereon?

    because i couldn't focus. twice, the professor called on people, and i realized that if it were me, i would have not even known what the topic was! It was 3:30, and I was pooped. i went to bed at 1 a.m., got up at 5:20 (and had a great run, wherein i felt wide awake and alive ...) then I went from holding office hours as a tutor to Comparative Law to Professional Responsibility (printing out resumes, short writing assignments, and reference lists in the 15 minutes between classes) to the scurry of major copying, to realizing i hadn't eaten, and calling beloved to check in. then by the time I sat down for Tax .... my brain wasn't screwed in properly.

    but then, i went to Trader Joe's, and browsed in the vino department for a while. i had about 40 minutes to wander around, and slowly look around, and ran into a friend, who made fun of me for my Starbucks coffee, and then went to pick up Julez from her acting thingamajiggy (hard to define).

    i thought all was well ..... i didn't know what was brewing with my other child, though, and really, Tax should have been hte high point of my day.

    grrrr. argh.
    posted by Zuska @ 8:25 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?