parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Thursday, April 20, 2006
    nesting, almost 2 years later.
    i am in such a slump right now, it is unbelievable. i just don't have it in me to work --- at ALL. I sat and stared blindly at my books for an hour yesterday. Or more. the book was open, it was on my lap, but the pages were not turning.

    i used the lack of law-related drive to do some refurbishing in my bathroom. we have 2 bathrooms in this apartment - one belongs to beloved and the cats, and one belongs to the girls and i. I most definitely got the good end of that bargain. First of all, the girls don't dig in cat litter and spray tiny clay pellets all over the place. second of all, the girls have not demolished a roll of toilet paper since their toddlerhoods (which was what? 45 years ago?) third of all, the girls don't shave, and leave little hairs all over the sink. fourth of all, the girls are starting to do chores. sometimes, their chores include sweeping the bathroom floor, or perhaps wiping down the bathroom sink, emptying the bathroom garbage, cleaning the bathroom mirrors. ahhhhhh.
    so i decided it would only be FAIR if i took a turn cleaning the place, with them several hundred miles away and all. I used some heavy-duty cleaners (they use non-toxic orange cleaner when they do the sink), and i scrubbed the floor on my hands and knees (something they've NEVER been required to do), and i put up the shelves that i stained, and i put down the new rug, and i put in the new shower curtain!! Why waste time staring at law books when you can be so PRODUCTIVE??? The new shelves look GREAT, in my humble opinion, and i put them up all by myself, even though it required a drill, a hammer, a level, a screwdriver, and various other tools and such. if i couldn't do something as simple as hang bathroom shelves, i would be a disgrace to my father and sister. and brother.

    but then i was sad, b/c there was another wall, which was empty, and it looked lonely. And I wanted something to hang on it NOW. I get like that. Hugely impatient. I have a very cool Hindu poster that I've been wanting to hang for years, and I thought perhaps when beloved and I go to bed, bath and beyond tonight for a new garbage pail among 600 other things, i could get a frame. but that didn't qualify as "now" - that qualified as "tomorrow night."




    And perhaps it's ridiculous of me to consider such things, but all I could think of was how offended my parents would be to come on Saturday (bringing us a couch which they have no use for) and find a Hindu goddess on my bathroom wall. They've been known to hide [and sometimes throw onto the floor] statues of Buddha at both mine and my sister's home. Guaranteed it was my father, and not my mother.

    So I sat on the couch, and stared at a book again. I even read 2 whole pages - highlighter and all. but then I remembered a puzzle that the girls and I assembled and glued some time ago, with intentions to hang in the hallway, and i thought - hmmm, that would actually go better in the bathroom!!!!

















    And so, despite my slump, i felt very productive. and i like my bathroom. i kept pretending i had to pee, just so i could go back in, and revel in the new-ness of it all.

    posted by Zuska @ 1:03 PM  
    1 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?