parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Thursday, December 15, 2005
    narnia
    my babysitter is finishing up college right now. she almost was going to leave us, in order to pursue other things, but then changed her mind. so she's sticking with us.

    but she had an exam today, and so i left work early, and picked up the girls myself.

    Thing One was done right on time, at 2 p.m., but Thing Two had Chorus practice for their play (Thing One is acting, Thing Two is singing -- Thing Two would act if she could, but she can't - until she's in 4th grade says the Powers that Be (of the school play)). So Thing One and I went and got Sushi. Mmmmmmm. She likes tuna rolls. that's it. no soy, no wasabi -- just the rice and the raw tuna fish. um. okay. at least i have someone who will go with me.

    While we were there, we were chatting about things, and i realized that we'd meant to see the Narnia movie, but we are desperately running out of time before they go to spend the holiday with their father and his family in a disgusting (in my personal opinon) state somewhere south of here.

    I then played a very rare role for me - Spontaneous Mom. Thing One and I went across the street and used a library computer to check show times, figured we could make it - and went to scoop up Thing Two, and Go See a Movie (this makes Annie songs run through my head. "Let's go to the mooooovies, Annie!!!")

    We saw Narnia. I have a hard time seeing the Christianity connection clearly (i've been told i'm way too much of a literalist in the past ... by my ex-schlurg, to be exact). Thing One told me that if I'd read the first Narnia, I would get it. She said it was the book that explains the "creation" of Narnia, and that while she can't put her finger on the specifics, it just rang of the bible.

    but the whole "Aslan is Jesus" thing -- I don't see it. Aslan dies to save Peter. One person. Thing One says no - b/c of the chain reaction that would have happened if Peter didn't die - in reality, Aslan died to save all of Narnia - just like Jesus. She also says that in order for them to be trying to get across the same idea ... they do not have to do the exact same thing.

    This from a girl who has spent a total of 1,369 hours complaining about the diversions that the Harry Potter Goblet of Fire movie took from the book. If I have to hear about the extended escaped dragon scene being a ridiculous waste of time which could have been spent further developing the Rita Skeeter story line, including her hidden animangus status, I am going to SCREAM.

    Other than the rather substantive debates I had with my 9 year old -- Narnia was alright. I am someone who is easily impressed by several sorts of eye candy. Special effects, beautiful people -- they can please me for 2 hours, easily. But I felt like the computer animation in this movie was sub-par.

    Lucy, however, was a real treat. I want to adopt her. She's the youngest sibling, and the actress did a really sweet job at creating a believable child --- both fragile and strong; funny and timid. She was great. The girls and I had a unaminous feeling that she was the Best Character. I would watch the movie JUST to experience that wonderful little child.

    And - as is evidenced by a new post -- I got my laptop back today!!

    I had the world's worst time with Dell when it was time to call and get a service call in place. I wanted to post about it, but it was just too painful. But then once it's in place (and this has been my experience twice now), the partnership between DHL and the more local Dell workshop places is really very effective. I called DHL on Monday - they picked my puppy up on Tuesday p.m. at 7, and it was back this a.m. at 11. Not too bad. Right?
    posted by Zuska @ 8:00 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?