parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Sunday, November 27, 2005
    The start of winter AND a new job!!!
    We went ice skating today! I had told the girls we could go this weekend, and then it slipped my mind. While I was laying in bed this a.m., listening to their spoons clink (over and over and over and over) on their bowls as they ate their cereal, I remembered that I had told them that, and a not-so-small part of my brain was hoping they'd forget.** I then ambled out of bed, asking them if they were attempting to play some sort of song with their spoons and bowls, and happily watched Meet the Press for an hour while doing a couple of loads of laundry and sucking down a couple of cups of coffee.

    Somewhere in there, a friend called, and invited us to go ice skating with them. I am convinced that the Universe is in love with me. We went to an indoor rink in town, for the first time. We'd always gone to the Frog Pond last year, in the Boston Commons. It's outdoors, and really a very nice setting.

    Today's rink was indoors, and it was fine. I think I missed being outdoors, but it was a nice time. There were kids around who my kids go to school with, we were with friends, and it was good. Although, I'm afraid that our friends make us look like a group of clumsies. The kids have been skating since they were two - we are California transplants (my kids are, anyway) - we first went last year! So these guys were wanting to whiz around the ice, and we ... well, we were slower. I actually grew up with a pond on our property, and skated every year, and used to be able to do figure 8's, and a little backwards skating. As the day (hour) went on, I got better, but I wasn't as good as my fellow Mom. She was really good and didn't need to use any other part of her body to balance herself.

    We really had a nice time, though. It's good to get out and enjoy winter activities with friends. One of their kids then came to my house while my kid went to play with a couple of their kids. I had the younger two. They didn't want to part company at the appointed time, and therefore locked themselves in the bathroom.

    I am kind of a strict mom. I'm hardly mean, and I strive to be very respectful, and I am a firm believer in non-physical discipline ... and I believe my kids are proof that not spanking does NOT mean that kids are brats. But I'm still a little stricter than your average Mom these-a-days. So when their mom went to the door and said, "please come out" - nothing happened. When I went to the door and said, "Thing Two, I need you to come out now -- this is enough!" the doorknob instantly turned. He he he.

    __________________

    [moving from kid-ville to school/work-ville!]

    Tomorrow is Day One of Winter work-stint. I was forwarded a brief on Friday for a case that I will be attending a moot court session for tomorrow. I am reading that now. In between typing words here. It's a Right to Privacy issue. I think I'm going to like this job.

    I am oddly very Not-Nervous. I'm not sure why. Perhaps this quarter of working/quarter of schooling really does help one to have enough experiences that the new-ness isn't new. New happens every quarter. New becomes Old.

    I am excited, and I am hopeful that it will be a great quarter. I'm not in until 10 tomorrow, because they thought they'd need the extra hour after a long weekend to get things ready for me. I'm wearing a suit for the first day, but have reason to believe that it will be khakis from here on out (i.e., evaluations written by students who have walked this path before me).

    ___________________

    Odd random thing - My beloved and i watched Apocalypse Now last night. I saw it probably 10 years ago, maybe eight. I think that when I saw it, I didn't understand it. It didn't get it. But I wasn't that young. I had a kid. I was a college graduate. But I think I was an ignorant person, and things didn't fit together for me ... I didn't have enough of an awareness of the world, and of politics, and of war, and of ... um, America in War. I got it last night. I am often stunned by thnaiveteee of the young woman I was when my girls were babies. When I was fresh out of school and newly married, and creating little PEOPLE. Stunned.

    ** this hope was against my own interests. sometimes they do forget the things I say I will do for them, but it is always only temporary. They will remember. They will remember as they are told to get into bed, and then they will complain and yell, and talk about all the reasons why I am a horrible mother. And I will feel like a horrible mother. Because you should do what you say you're going to do. Really.
    posted by Zuska @ 10:01 PM  
    1 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?