parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Saturday, November 26, 2005
    Birthday Plans
    On December 4th, I will turn 33. On December 5th, my Beloved will turn 44. Last year, I was on a Saturday, and he was on a Sunday. My mom offered to take the kids so we could get away and celebrate. Ha ha. Little did I know just how intense exams would be, and how very little time I would have come early December to be going off on Birthday Celebrations. My mom took the kids, alright, and I spent all of Saturday until dinner time working on my Property Outline. I forced my poor Beloved to fend for himself on that day. We did *something* on his bday before my folks brought the girls back, but I don't even remember what - the haze of first semester law school exams is really that thick.

    This year, however, I'm done with school, and going off on co-op. So the stress level is minimal. Mom again made the offer, and I again took her up on it. I had hoped that an inheritance that I believe I previously mentioned on here would have been disbursed by this time, and we could go away-away. Like to a cabin on the Cape, or coastal Maine, or a B&B in the mountains of New Hampshire (yes, for me, a poor law student, *that* is away-away). But alas, the inheritance and its promises have not yet been realized, and our finances are not so very padded. So I figured we would stay home - go see movies, have some dinner out - perhaps even finally visit Walden Pond. I rented a zipcar, and that was that.

    But then Thing One got a bday invitation from a very good friend for a sleepover party. Then my dad kind of grumbled (in his Thanksgiving mood kind of way) about doing the drive (and I understand, it's hard, and they're not getting younger). Then Thing Two almost started to cry that she was going to miss her best friend's play, which she's been looking forward to attending.
    So my mom said - hey! let's trade houses, you can take OUR car when we get there, and go back to our house, and go into the city or something for the weekend, and we can take the kids to their parties and plays.

    After some hesitation about whether or not my parents would (more likely than not) snoop around our stuff, be too loud since they're used to living in the country with nothing but deer and owls around them, or just have a hard time living the life of a foot-commuter, we decided okay.

    We're going to drive to their house in CT late on Friday night, sleep the night in their house, and then wake on Saturday and take the train into New York City. We hope for a show and dinner. We're looking around at ways to get tickets to see Wicked. It won't be easy, b/c it's completely sold out, but there's these Rush tickets that go on sale the day of the show ... and as a student, I have a chance at those Student Rush tickets. We're gonna try. I really cannot afford the 2nd hand tickets on Craigslist, so we will just wing it. If not - oh well. We'll go to the Met, or do something else we can't do while sitting in the outskirts of Boston.

    My mom bestowed gifts upon me already for my bday and Christmas. Coats for both. I received a very nice Columbia 3-in-1 jacket for casual days, it's mostly black and intensley cozy. And a nice dress coat for work days. It's black, and also very nice. So I am very warm for winter.
    posted by Zuska @ 6:57 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?