parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Saturday, January 20, 2007
    Grown up decisions
    I am way ahead of myself here. But I have been spending a year watching the housing market, and I'm now looking at paycheck calculators and mortgage calculators to try and figure out what I will be bringing home, and what I can afford.

    The answer? I can afford very little (considering the market in this area, where the kids are well established in school). We may be able to find a low-end "starter" 3 br condo with little more actual square footage than we have now. We have 1,000 now, I think, and the condos I think we can afford are 1,300. There's a place that I really like that's 1900 square feet .... and $300,000 more than I think I'll be able to afford.

    So then I look at rentals, and really, right now, there are rentals in our neighborhood that cost $400 less per month than the small condo's mortgage would be --- and it's likely bigger.

    Damn.
    posted by Zuska @ 1:22 PM  
    3 Comments:
    • At Sunday, January 21, 2007 7:08:00 AM, Blogger CM said…

      Yeah, I know that most people feel a strong urge to buy and that everyone will tell you buying is a smarter financial decision, but the rental market is so low right now that renting and waiting a year might be a better decision. Are you thinking about moving after graduation?

       
    • At Sunday, January 21, 2007 10:33:00 AM, Blogger Zuska said…

      No, not immediately after graduation. Probably a year from NOW. We want to go to Europe after the bar, and so financially, we likely can't move until well into my time at Future Firm.

       
    • At Sunday, January 21, 2007 9:06:00 PM, Blogger Mieke said…

      It's the same for us - probably worse and I have four years (ok 3.5 until I am done). I have just made myself so depressed.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?