parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Wednesday, September 06, 2006
    Today Feels Eventful.
    But it's really not. I had two classes. I suppose that's more eventful than yesterday.

    Oh! And I got that tutoring job. The prof. e-mailed me this a.m. to let me know, and I'd already convinced myself that i'd been REJECTED b/c she said I'd hear on Tuesday, and i did not, and I had heard an announcement that a pretty cool prof was looking for a second Research Assistant, and was thinking maybe i'd do THAT for work study, and then I got the e-mail. I decided to stick with the tutoring, b/c an RA job may be more conducive to the spring.

    In Comparative Law this a.m., the prof got mad at us because no one wanted to debate Weber's theories and principles, and so she made us each go around the room and share something we were thinking. I was intimidated.

    I had written to Beloved before the class, telling him I was worried that everyone dropped because of the ridiculous COST OF THE BOOKS (i never did vent about that on the blog, b/c I try to be an "optimistic" blogger, I try to convey my LOVE for law, and law school, and all things law-related, but this PISSED ME OFF. Maybe I'll tell that story next). I was WORRIED (getting back on track) that everyone dropped the class because it cost $250 in materials and the prof was all discombobulated on the first day, and that I would be stuck in a 3 person seminar on economic theories and international law - things I know NOTHING about, and things which my education at Liberty University did NOT prepare me for.* And I knew that my one friend who went to a stellar University and majored in Philosophy was in the class, and he would laugh at me. [turns out that not so many people dropped the class, and i'd guess we were between 15 and 20 in the room, and it was a good, comfortable mix, with a nice split between 2Ls and 3Ls, and between those that were taking the class because of passion/relationship to their future goals and those who were taking the class because it "seems interesting." I am i the SECOND group.]

    So, when we had to do round robin with our thoughts, I was nervous. The first person to go around the room had read a book a year or so ago that was written by the author of one of the articles we had to read, and so used his time to explain how the theories related to today's discussions. (Why didn't he volunteer before the prof got all irritable with us???) All I could do was express doubt about a system that is built upon the premise that man is a self-interested and solely economic actor because I don't think it's true. Then a friend who had NOTHING ELSE TO SAY piggybacked on me to say that uh huh, man is so self-interested. Then three others got involved to talk about tribal communities who worked toward the communal good, rather than that of the individual, and whether or not there was any self interest in such actions, and an entire discussion sprung forth, and the professor was happy.

    I am an ignoramus. I may have to put aside my fiction reading and do some self edumacation on these philosophical issues which Jerry Falwell protected me from back in The Day.

    I am not, however, a huge fan of capitalism. I know that much.

    Then in Professional Responsibility, we had discussions - both with the entire class (115 people) and in small groups. I was reminded with FULL FORCE that in my school, the most PC thing you can do is bash Big Firms. The funny thing was, people sounded like they had no idea what they were saying. Like they were just spewing forth the things they had been told by others. There are plenty of valid criticisms of big firms, but these people didn't sound like they were MAKING valid criticisms. They sounded like Bush cronies talking about the War on Terror or about "these. democrats. just. want. to. cut. and. run. i. do. not. have. an. original. thought. in. my. head. cut. and. run. cut. and run. eviiiiiiiiil."

    Kids today, what can I say? My contribution to the conversation was that the reason why lawyers are miserable is because lawyers don't like the law -- they go to law school for "prestige" or "money" or because they have nothing better to do, and then when they find themselves stuck in a life in which they are practicing LAW, they're upset.

    See? The blogosphere is edumacational.

    I should be reading Tax right now. I need to go and pick up Julez from a playdate at 4, and that leaves me less than an hour. I'm still ahead in my reading, so all is well, but I want to be MORE ahead. I'm addicted to being ahead. I want to be done for the entire next week!!

    So, have a good day.

    *Actually, this was how Liberty did philosophy: "Karl Marx was not a Christian because he said religion is the opiate of the people. Friedrich Nietzsche was not a Christian, b/c he said god is dead." [and so on and so forth] They also tried to explain the benefits of a theocracy, ruled by Old Testament Law. I honestly kid you not.
    posted by Zuska @ 2:22 PM  
    1 Comments:
    • At Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I am ahead for the whole week and it is truly, truly addicting. I want to be a week and a half ahead now. Do you think this is a progressive addiction, that I'll constantly desire being MORE ahead? mmmmm

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?