parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Friday, July 14, 2006
    litigation v. corporate
    This summer, I'm splitting my time between the litigation and corporate departments. I've actually gotten woefully small amounts of work from both - which is the case for quite a few other summer associates as well.

    Right now, I'm involved with a team preparing for a closing next week. My work includes opening an agreement or other document which was created some time ago, and plugging in someone's name, then saving the document, then doing a "save as" and replacing that name with yet another. This then goes on for approximately 15-20 different versions of the document, when i then start the whole thing over with a second agreement, then a third, and then a fourth.

    The only good part is that it is a little hectic, it does require a good bit of collaboration, and I do feel relatively involved. These certain agreements are my "domain" and any changes that need to be made, questions asked, etc., come to me.

    But um. "Save As" isn't something I learned in law school!!

    I really feel secure in saying that I Want To Do Litigation. Not Corporate. Yet, I haven't gotten much litigation work. I have less than a month left. I have twice spoken with the person who is supposed to be in charge of getting me work, and today spoke to my litigation supervisor, who was supposed to get back to me, but did not.

    I just wish I were coming away from this summer with a bit more involvement with what I hope to do there. I suppose my biggest fear is that their needs for corporate associates are so much bigger that they're really going to push me into that side of things.

    One of my fellow summers said yesterday that at lunch with some corporate associates, he was told that they ended up in the corporate department because they "don't like the law." But see, I love the law. I don't want to be on the non-law side. On the "save as" side, and the "cut and paste side." I want to be on the litigation side.

    We have another 4 weeks to see how it all plays out.
    posted by Zuska @ 9:56 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?