parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Wednesday, March 08, 2006
    Update on the Clinic and Other Things
    1) I went to the gym today. I worked out hard, and it felt great. But I forgot a brush, and my hair is really thick and shoulder length, and not brushing it after a shower is not fun. I need to remember to add that to the Gym Bag.

    2) Administrative Law was good. I really like the professor. She is SUPER COOL. But she likes GROUPWORK. I am so sick and tired of group work. The class seems so much more interesting than the pre-law-school Zuska ever would have thought Administrative Law could be. Once she categorized it as "advanced Constitutional Law," I started drooling.

    But I think I'm going to drop it. because ....

    3) I spoke with the professor about the cert clinic. he spoke to one of my other professors about me, and he pulled my transcript, and he's pushing hard for me to do this. He is a very good salesman. Before i spoke with him, I spoke with some classmates, and they put me in touch with a 3L who did the clinic last year and said it took up ALL OF HER TIME. That it was all-consuming. Someone said it's just as bad as the Class That I Was Teaching as far as time suckage and stress is concerned.

    I told Clinic Prof my concerns, and the reasons why I hadn't registered for the clinic from the outset despite my interest, and he said that this particular case is very clear cut. That most cases don't have clear issues, and 60% of the work is digging through the entire record to try and find an issue to present to SCOTUS. But this one has very clear issues, and therefore, is mostly writing. and, says he, it should be filed by the end of April, so it won't interfere with my exams for my other classes.

    i called and wrote to my academic advisor (who I worked closely with in conjunction with the Class That I Taught last year) begging for advice on what to do. Clinic Prof wants an answer today. Advisor-man hasn't called or wrote me back yet .... I think he's teaching a class. He is going to tell me to do the Clinic. It's kind of his job to do so .... He's the Clinic Director. He oversees them all.

    I had no reading assignment for Administrative Law, but I thought yesterday afternoon that it would be a good idea to get started on Friday's reading. I highlighted ONE PASSAGE, on page 59. Do you think if I drop the class that the bookstore will take the book back? Or will I have to sell it as used?

    One other thing .... I ran into a professor from the Class That I Taught, and she said that they're revamping the program for next year, and that one of the faculty is looking for me. She wants my help in the redesigning of the unit.

    So much for a quiet quarter.

    UPDATE!!!!

    I never did hear back from my advisor, and clinic-prof emailed twice needing an answer. i had spoken with other students -- i went looking for ANY professor who could weigh in, and found none!!! (it was 4:45, way past professor-hours, apparently). I spoke with a fellow parent-student, who is a 3L and knows people who did this clinic in the past, and found it to be MORE CONSUMING than the 6 hour clinics.

    So, feeling slightly backed into a corner, I said no. The main thinking is that this clinic is offered every quarter. I know he has a slot that NEEDS to be filled now, but I just don't want to make a hasty decision b/c of a deadline that I'll regret later.

    So it feels like a wasted day, and a lot of wasted emotional energy.
    posted by Zuska @ 1:51 PM  
    2 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?