parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Thursday, March 23, 2006
    Hodge Podge
    I am feeling overdue for a post, and have several brewing (as always) in my head. Decided to make one long post with all the updates.

    1. Health. I missed 2 days of classes for the flu - or whatever the hell it was that made me burn up and ache all over and feel generally like I was going to die. Today I missed my 8:30 class, not so much for the flu (although I wasn't feeling up-to-snuff), but rather for a child's classroom's Family Breakfast. If I was well, I could have hopped on the bike afterward and booked it to class, but alas, I was not, and instead i slowly walked home and took it easy, and then took the bus to school for the 10:30 class.
    2. Beloved is Sick. he seems to have the same thing I did, although perhaps milder. His fever wasn't as high, and his aches seem to be a little less. he was awake and reading and communicating normally for most of the evening, although in bed, and unable to eat. It hit him through the day today, and he came home early from work. I'm encouraging him not to push it for tomorrow - just take the day off. He has at least one errand to run (see entry #4 below), and I think that it would be nice if that is all he really does. Then he can get better. Which is probably important, since the Things may be getting this thing after us.
    3. School. My missing of classes and readings was almost harmless. Harmless in 3/4 classes. Fed Courts today was brutal. I had read today's reading, but had not caught up on what I hadn't read for Tuesday b/c I got hit with the bug on Monday night. There were about 400 SUPER IMPORTANT cases, apparently, in that reading and discussion. All of today's class was spent referring back to those cases. I had notes from a friend, but that's not the same as having been there, and I believe I need to have a Fed Courts Weekend. Woo hoo. Tomorrow being Friday would typically mean I have the entire day to read for Monday/Tuesday classes, but I have a meeting scheduled with My Judge (from last summer) to go over the file that I'm working on with him. That will probably eat up 4 out of 6 of my "free" hours. oh well.
    4. Pets. Baby Cat was checked in at the vet last night. Today, she was Cut. There will be no more caterwalling in this house (i.e., baby girl cat in heat no more!!!) I am so happy. That cat was going into heat every 2 weeks. And there's a boy cat (neutered as he may be) in the house, and his disinterest was driving her even MORE crazy. This is Beloved's one errand for tomorrow. He needs to go pick up Baby Cat. I hope he's better enough to do it, b/c she hates me. She thinks I have poison emanating from my pores. If he is on the bed, she goes over, rolls all over him, curls up on his belly, plays with him, etc. I come in the room, and she runs and hides. hopefully this surgery will make her more mellow, and a little less feral (b/c that is what I think it is). Speaking of cats ... I have some really great cat blogging photos on my camera, but I can't upload them, b/c I can't find that little connector cord that goes from camera to computer. I also have a card reader somewhere, but I don't know where that is. I am sure I could find them if there weren't people sleeping in most rooms of the house.
    5. Kids (i.e., shameless bragging). My Thing One cracked me up today. I went to pick her up from her theater group, and we were chatting. I mentioned that Thing Two had gotten an email from their paternal grandmother stating that their pregnant aunt recently found out that her fetus has a vagina, and no penis. Thing One said, "yeah, I know." I said, "how did you know?" she said, "I got the email, too, but I organize my email, so you just didn't see it when you went looking." [as of right now, me "going looking" is not a problem or privacy concern. Thing One will often ask me to check her email when i check mine, and I have made it known that there are protective reasons why I need to just do spot checks of what's in their inboxes.] I was impressed by her organization, and told her, "oh, that is so good that you're organized, it will make you such a good student, and such a good scientist, and such a good adult!" [i was being goofy!]. She looked at me, rolled her eyes and said, "don't count your chicks before they hatch, mom!" she's so cute. I can't believe that this tall girl who will barely fit on my lap at all anymore was my first little baby. This baby that I so felt was a part of me. This girl, almost 10 years old, is not a part of me. She is her own self. She has a fabulous brain, an amazing sense of humor, and is incredibly capable. But she wasn't always so separate and distinct. She was a little tiny baby who was incredibly needy, and wouldn't sleep unless it was with me nearby, and who was as happy as pie 95% of the time - b/c that was the percentage of time that I was with her. Then she was a little cuddly toddler. But it's the baby that's been on my mind lately. That my mind can barely wrap around. Just amazing. her pre-teen face used to have chubby cheeks, and a bald head.
    6. Day-to-Day Blathering. The girls and I were pretty much on our own this evening. We were all a little mopey over Beloved's absence, b/c we were sad for him that he was feeling poorly, and we missed him. I even had to cook. I am not sure who was most upset about that .... me, b/c I don't like to cook, Beloved, b/c he had to sacrifice a well-planned recipe to perhaps disastrous hands, or the girls, b/c they had to eat my food. I think dinner came out alright. They ate. I ate. (I never like food that I prepare myself as much as food prepared for me, so I was underwhelmed, knowing that if He made the same dish, it would have melted in my mouth like buttah). They had some little chores, THing Two had to shower, Thing One had to practice her cello. Then I decided I would humor them and play this "baby game" they have. We play a lot of games in our house. We like games. 2 out of the 4 of us are quite competitive (that would be ME, and Thing Two, who i created). They got this game from - well, I don't know. But not from me. And not from Beloved. It's called Cadoo. And you have to either draw, act, or sculpt (out of clay) the clue given on a card, or you have to perform some task. it really has always seemed, to me, from afar, just too babyish. I never wanted to play. But tonight, since we were down, i said yes.

    We had so much fun, and laughed so hard. Thing One couldn't wait for me to get an acting card (basically charades), but I kept getting drawing or sculpting, which I was successful at (which should not be taken to mean that I have *any* proficiency at either of those things ... the game is a little young ... I had to draw a skateboard, and sculpt an airplane ... not too taxing). But at last, I got an acting card. The clue? Shark. Well how the hell am I going to do THAT while maintaining some maternal dignity? Apparently, not at all. I tried to just slink around with a hand at my back trying to be a fin. i don't remember what their guesses were, but they were OFF, so i started snapping my jaws. Thing One managed to spit out a "shark!" through her guffaws. When I returned to our circle she said, "mom, you have no idea how ridiculous you looked!"

    This from the girl who last night, while playing with her sister got the clue "corn on the cob" and chose to act it out by lying on the floor. that's all she did. she was a cob of corn. talk about ridiculous.
    posted by Zuska @ 10:31 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?