parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Sunday, October 29, 2006
    Winter Solstice
    Because I am bitter and hate all things religious (with good reason), we do not celebrate Christmas in my house. We partake with my parents, and the girls with their other grandparents, and with their father, but not in our house so much.

    We celebrate Solstice.

    This has worked out on many levels for us. First of all, it's on the 21st, and even years that they go to their father's, they're home for the 21st. Second of all, there's no hype. Third of all, things that go with the solstice are nature-based - not plastic and glitter-based, and are more pleasing to my eyes and nose and such.

    Something that comes with this for us our gift-giving. We do not purchase gifts for eachother - or at least, we minimize the purchased gifts. we MAKE gifts.

    The last year we were in California (2003), I made the girls skirts. I don't know what I was thinking ... me? sew? but my sister was living with us, and she can sew, and has a sewing machine, and she helped me. They came out nice enough. I bought them shirts to go with. I also "made" them fleece scarves that year. In other words, I went to the fabric store, I picked the color of fleece material I wanted, and I had them cut it. Then I went home and took a pair of scissors to the ends to make a fringe.

    They still have those scarves.

    I do not remember what I did in 2004 - my first law school year. I probably found a way to bow out. j. says that we did Christmas. I think that she's right - we started out only doing Solstice on the years they did go to their father's. Last year, I made them boxes for their journals and such. they still use those, too.

    This year, I've decided I'm making them scrap books. From our time in berkeley (our last house). I have the week of Thanksgiving OFF, and I will go through my giant photo box (its like 3x3) and pull out the proper photos. I have to find the right "style" for the scrap books b/c I am not that "scrapbooking" person that usually makes scrap books. I have to find something either funky or elegant. but not cute-sy. B/c I am not cutesy. Not to say that I *am* funky or elegant, just to say I can't do cute-sy.

    They have been wanting to compile photos and such to remember their time in berkeley for a long time, and I haven't been on the ball. I've saved the stuff, but have not been on the ball.

    I also have an idea for Beloved, but since he reads this thing, i can't share.

    I am thinking of making either smaller scrapbooks for extended family, or just framing photos of the girls. we have some VERY cool ones right now. I think I'll make my parents a scrapbook, but find good frames for others .... there aren't many others. I will probably help the girls pick a frame for the Schlurg, and for his mother, and perhaps his grandmother as well.

    Last year, e. and beloved had a great idea of making luminaries ... and then this year, I saw them being sold somewhere for like $150 --- just b/c someone punched holes in a can. beloved said, though, that it's actually harder than he had anticipated. which is too bad, b/c they're VERY cool looking. VERY cool.

    I can't believe I just wrote this post instead of writing my paper. I am such a jerk.
    posted by Zuska @ 8:51 AM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?