parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Sunday, July 23, 2006
    Law Book Selling Etiquette
    The romantic blush of my first year of law school is over, my book shelf is over full, and I want to sell last year's books. I do not know, however, if I can. I do not brief cases; I take notes directly into the margins of my books. I highlight somewhere between moderate and heavy - although my highlighting is not color coded (b/c I think that practice is kind of freaky). Some books have underlining in colored pencil, underlining via gel pens, and highlighting. All have notes in the margins.

    Are these books sellable? I took a gander through my Corporations book, thinking it would be a LIGHT one, and actually, it was pretty heavy.

    Those of you who buy used books ... would you buy them with moderate highlighting and notes in the margin? i.e., outlining in the margin?
    posted by Zuska @ 3:36 PM  
    4 Comments:
    • At Sunday, July 23, 2006 5:22:00 PM, Blogger She says said…

      I buy and sell my books on amazon all of the time. Just make sure you describe the condition accurately. I think most law students would rather pay half price for a marked up book than full price for a new one. Well, I would (and have) anyway.

      And, BTW, I agree with you about the colored highlighter method being a bit freaky. It's almost too colorful, enough to induce a seizure or something.

       
    • At Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:07:00 PM, Blogger Butterflyfish said…

      Absolutely second what 'she says' said. Make sure your asking price reflects the condition too -- I've seen people trying to sell "very beat up, heavily highlighted, coffee stained... $40" I mean kudos for being honest, but that condition warrants something like $8-10.

       
    • At Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:23:00 PM, Blogger LawNut said…

      Since my obsession with Ebay this summer, I have come to realize one thing - there is always someone out there who is willing to buy your crap. Sell 'em!

       
    • At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:14:00 AM, Blogger Mieke said…

      I want virgin books. I don't want other people's ideas in MY books. But I also don't want to spend top dollar, so I found myself picking through all of the used books for the ones with pencil or almost no highlighter.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?