parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, February 21, 2006
    vacation with kids
    Honestly, i believe that my daughters are the best human beings. i adore them.

    Thing One has had her grouchy moments, and Thing Two her bratty ones. There have been times that I've felt exasperated. However, on the whole, this has been great. I have been peppered with their wisdom and insights. sometimes they're displayed through the questions asked, and sometimes put forth more directly.

    The Things are slightly swapping roles on this trip. Thing One, my usually socially awkward child who functions on the periphery, is in the spotlight most of the time, while Thing Two makes due with what she has ... perhaps a 5 year old boy (not something this 7 year old girl would EVER bother with), perhaps her 33 year old momma, perhaps momma's friends. It's typically Thing One who's pasting together her love of reading and her ability to hang out with adults instead of acceptance of her peers. Thing Two is typically being fought over by eager girls. (for example, we stopped by A's 5 year old's classroom, which is a mixed class of Kindergarten through 2nd grade (thing 2 is in 2nd grade), and all the 2nd grade girls were just STARING at her, and were trying to engage her in conversation).

    I think this is good. For both of them. I think Thing Two could use to see what it's like to not be clamoured over, and that Thing One deserves the break - the chance to be fawned and fought over.

    At my friend A's house, her son F and my Thing One have the tight friendship that I previously described. her 5 year old son want in on that. My Thing Two ends up on the outskirts of it all, and often comes and hangs out with me - who is more than willing to play a game, or to scratch her back (which she loves) while she reads a book.

    Another pleasant surprise ... Thing One has been really expressive about how much she misses my Beloved. During the whole process of us becoming a new Family, it is the Thing One and Beloved relationship that has required the most effort (in my opinion, perhaps Beloved thinks it's he and I, with the law school chaos and all .... he has made my life nothing but easier, and more palatable, and more blissful. Perhaps that cannot be said for him, with the demands that lawschool makes). We have talked things through, we have tried different things, we have had patience, and lots of love. It has been more good than bad ... but there has been some transition issues. But on this trip, Thing One is really missing him. And to me, that's an icing on the cake of all the progress we've made through hard work and carefulness. She has, through this expression, the family we've created. and I am happy about that.

    And as i said. I love my kids. I love their happiness. I love their adaptability. I love their senses of humor. I love their passion about the olympics, and their excitability over the deep and hot bathtub in the hotel room. I love their perceptiveness. I love the conversations they're now capable of having. I love that I can look forward to years of more vacations, and more fun.
    posted by Zuska @ 11:58 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?