parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Tuesday, February 21, 2006
    The Food Post (vacation version, part I)
    We are just about to head back up north. Once I drag myself and my daughters out of our make shift beds.

    One of the many good things about going up to A's house is we get to eat home made food. She had made me a chicken soup when we were there on Thursday eve, b/c I was very sick. I am no longer very sick (although still congested), so now I can eat (and drink, etc.) anything.

    Other than the home made stuff, eating has been fun. As I mentioned previously, we had a great lunch/snack of Indian food the other day at Naan & Curry, but that was minor compared to other dining experiences. We had at least 4 favorite restaurants we wanted to hit while in Berkeley. Happily, we have hit them all already. I plan to post photos to supplement this post in the near future (within 48 hours, I think).

    The first place we went is Fillipos. It is an Italian restaurant in our Elmwood area. I'm sorry. Berkeley's Elmwood Area. Which is a relatively upscale area populated more by families, graduate students and working singles than by college students. it used to be walking distance from our home, and was 1/2 way between the girls' school, up in the hills, and home. We tried this new restaurant, Fillipo's, when it first opened. I'm sure the food was passable. But our waitress was what clinched it for us. The girls had a blast with her (they were much younger then, probably 5 and 6 ... maybe even 4 and 5). I also ordered bruschetta, and Thing One fell in love with it, and has loved it forever since. So we went our first evening here with Sis and Nephew and had TWO orders of bruschetta, and the kids all had spahetti in one form or another, and Sis and I shared a salad and a yummy pasta dish.

    Another favorite place is a taqueria called Picante. I do not remember how I first found the joint .... but I tried their mole burrito, which is called a Manchamantales burrito, and I fell in love. I am a bad Californian there ... the burrito is so full of deliciousness that I just cannot eat it right. I always unwrap it, plop it on my plate, and stick a hole in it from which I pull out the deliciousness. As has been previously established, I am a freak. But I did it again on Saturday night (right after the vivarium, pictured below). Thing Two loves burritos, and she had a child's version (i.e., just beans, chicken and cheese, that's it - no salsa, no guac, no Mexican cheese, no sour cream ..... booooorrrriiiiiinnnnnngggg). Thing One wanted a taco, but none had lettuce and tomato, so she instead got a Steak Taco Salad. It was very large, and she really went at it.

    Then for lunch yesterday we went to a place that Beloved mentioned was the thing he was most jealous of missing out on .... a burger place that was right next to his apartment. Which meant he'd been there often. Therefore, I took pictures of one of the best parts -- the fries:


    This was the most junk food i had in a long time - a double cheeseburger and several fries. We even got Cokes. As a treat. Despite the fact that they have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them. This is, after all, vacation.

    I had another favorite place which was just mine .... maybe Thing One's, too .... our #1 sushi restaurant here in town, Kirala. i went last night. I abandoned Sis with all three kids and went out with an old friend from work. I ordered something I'd never heard of before - Robata. It said "asparagus and beef" and i was in the mood for both, and i tried it. it was so yummy .... asparagus spears rapped in thinly sliced beef and grilled on a skewer. It was delicious. Then I got some rolls (tuna, cucumber, and rainbow -- which has fish wrapped around hte outside as well as filling the inside, and is a favorite of mine), and I was happy. My friend wasn't as much in the mood for sushi, and had plenty of options. She got ginger beef, and it was great.

    While I was gone, Sis made my favorite food with the kids .... potato pancakes. I love potato pancakes. So do the kids. I had some when I got home. heated them up on the oven, and gobbled them up with much sour cream. mmmmmmm.

    We're off again to Sebastopol today. Looking forward to it. I like that we're getting a good mix of the city and country life [lives?]. I worry that Thing Two feels more on the outs in Sebastopol, but I play games with her, and keep her with me, and I think it's okay. For once in the child's life --- being OUT of the spotlight may not be a bad thing.
    posted by Zuska @ 12:24 PM  
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?