parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Sunday, March 25, 2007
    The Prestige - Spoilers
    Beloved and I watched The Prestige tonight. Netflix brought it over a week ago, and we don't usually let movies languish in the house like this.

    I had read sort of negative reviews about the film, but was still willing to give it a go, because who can say no to Wolverine? And even if you can say no to him, who can say no to Scarlet? Eye candy all around.

    Beloved drives me crazy to no end. This movie had twists and turns, certainly. But when it's over, and I'm stunned and surprised, and he says "oh yeah, I figured that out early on" --- I just want to throttle him!! The boy did study film, so despite my initial disbelief caused by irritation and frustration (and perhaps a tad of me feeling like I must be a dummy), I do believe him. Still. I had no clue that there would be 100 tanks full of 100 dead Wolverines at the end. I *know* there were 100 hats, and at least 2 cats. But I didn't know it meant 100 Wolverines. I thought the electrical freak fixed the damned machine!!

    Also, I just loved David Bowie in Labrynth. I think that he may have even been the first movie character turn me on, as a pre-teen or whatever the hell age I was. Unfortunately, he has not aged well, and I found that sad. Unless it was all make up (like in Labrynth).

    I recommend the movie. It was twisty/turny and engaging throughout. I like that in a flick.

    Labels:

    posted by Zuska @ 11:44 PM  
    5 Comments:
    • At Monday, March 26, 2007 9:03:00 AM, Blogger saramel said…

      Me too with David Bowie in Labyrinth. I don't know how old I was when I watched that movie, (10 or 11?) but I definitely thought he was sexy. Especially the costume ball part.

       
    • At Monday, March 26, 2007 1:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      hey, i studied film AND magic, so this film has a lot more for me to know about going in. and i was picking things up all along the way because (a) most hollywood film is formulaic and (b) sybolism in movies is never anything but transparent (the two-headed coin?).

      sorry you want to throttle me. next time i'll write everything down during and show it to you after. if you want.

       
    • At Monday, March 26, 2007 1:26:00 PM, Blogger Zuska said…

      Well, I don't literally want to throttle you.

      I want you to write everything down, and time stamp it - according to the DVD minute counter. So I can be sure you're being truthful about where you think what.

       
    • At Monday, March 26, 2007 3:52:00 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said…

      Having watched this fairly great movie, I find it almost impossible that anyone could have figured it all out before the end ..I had read the book in advance, but Nolan still managed to pack it with enough surprises to keep me guessing about some things

       
    • At Monday, March 26, 2007 4:06:00 PM, Blogger Zuska said…

      The twins thing wasn't too hard to figure it out - my husband mentioned it outloud as soon as the "transporter" trick was first shown, and once it was said outloud, we were able to find a million pieces of evidence pointing to it. Then it was clear that there were disguises, that the women were each loved by one twin, and I figured out - huh - the other one cut off his fingers, and that's why it looked just as bad months later.

      The cloning issue wasn't hidden. There was a stack of hats in the yard.

      I don't think anything was so hidden that it's unbelievable that someone would guess. My biggest curiosity was "would the twin escape from prison?" and which twin loved which woman.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?