parens binubus

more than you want to know about a law school graduate/bar examinee who is also raising two children and doing her best at being a partner to her love.

law students
  • Anonymous Law Student
  • Barely Legal
  • Bitter Law Student
  • Divine Angst
  • Frustrated Law Student
  • In Limine
  • Life, Far Away
  • Peanut Butter Burrito
  • Preaching to the Perverted
  • Phocas and Francis
  • Stare Decisis
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man
  • WonL
  • lawyers
  • Frolics and Detours
  • Harmless Error
  • The Imbroglio
  • Legal Underground
  • Neutral Zone Trap
  • Unblague
  • Will Work For Favorable Dicta
  • moms
  • Kids Squared
  • Froggy Mama
  • Lucky, Lucky Star
  • Manababies
  • Mimilou
  • Mother Talkers
  • Pissed Off Housewife
  • Underpaid Kept Woman
  • Yankee, Transferred
  • combos
  • Angry Pregnant Lawyer
  • Adv of Law School Mama
  • Frequent Citations
  • From Engineer to Lawyer
  • Lag Liv
  • Law School for 30-somethings
  • Legal Quandary
  • Lots and Lots of Nonsense
  • Magic Cookie
  • Mommy Grows Up
  • Mother In Law
  • Reasonable Expectations
  • Who Cares What You Think?
  • Yayarolly Goes to Law School
  • miscellaneous fun
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Bloggy Awards
  • Go Fug Yourself
  • Mother Talkers
  • Stay of Execution
  • beloved's blog
  • One Man's Ceiling
  • cool kids' stuff
  • Boden Kids
  • j.'s new sweater
  • Sunday, February 05, 2006
    Studying as a Parent
    I received a question in the comments earlier today which I decided to address up here:
    I have a Very Important Question for you. Very important because I have two kids, who will be 6 and 2 when I start law school myself in the fall, and they're pretty rambunctious and generally noisy, and hopefully we'll be able to get a big enough place at whatever law school it is I end up at, but what do you do when you just _gots_ to study?
    The quick answer? Library or iPod while locked in the bedroom. Long answer below.

    Before I started law school, I worked with lawyers. Once they realized that asking me over and over if I was *sure* I wanted to go to law school wouldn't work to change my mind, they started dishing out the advice. One woman who had been to law school as a mom herself told me, "Zuska, treat it like a job. You are used to working a 9-5 job, and if you treat law school like a 9-5 job, you'll be fine. Maybe you'll need to do 8-5, but that's all you'll need."

    This has been my goal, and I think that I have been largely successful.

    My kids are both school age, so I drop them both off at school at 8 a.m. If I have an early class, they can do various activities at school (Math Club, Reading Club, or even eat breakfast) as early as 7:30. I then am at school, and wide awake, just as if I were arriving at work.

    I do not go to lunch with friends, I do not go to the gym (I've tried, but considering that I do try and protect my evenings, it proved hard - that was during 1L, and while teaching a class), I do not go shopping in the middle of the day. I do not take naps in my dorm room for an hour between classes.

    I used to be home between 4:30 and 5. Once I went out on co-op, however, and was working until 4:30-5, I arranged childcare until 6, and have not changed it back. Partly because the girls' schedule has gotten fuller, and they aren't usually home when i get home at 4:30 - they're at the park with friends or at someone's house, or at play practice, etc.

    I really work to capitalize this time that I'm not home. During 1L, I worked at night pretty solidly from 9-12. But between 5 and 9, I belonged to the family. I think that there were literally 2 or 3 nights during entire 1L where that was not the case, and I had to shut myself up in my bedroom.

    Weekends also were, for the most part, protected. A few times during the semester I'd feel behind or whatever, and Beloved and the girls would rent a movie, and I would, again, shut myself up in the bedroom.

    During exams, I needed more time. My parents took the girls for a weekend during both 1L exam times, and Beloved kicked in for at least a Saturday day trip during those times.

    If I needed to study on the weekends (typically, as I said, only during exams), I would go to the public library. I hate our school library, and it is also relatively far away (20 minutes by bike, 45 minutes to an hour by public transit). The town library is 1.5 minutes by bike, and 7 by foot. I have developed a large resentment for time spent on something as wasteful as commuting. The bike is a very big solution to the commute-problem. Public transit isn't a straight shot, and on the bike, I can cut my commute time by 1/2 to 2/3rds.

    We do not have a large apartment. It is 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a large great room. No office. When I need to study at home, I bring my books and my laptop into our bedroom, and stick headphones in my ears.

    My largest goal, for so many reasons, is to get the point where I am not studying/reading at home. To fit everything into an 8:30 to 5:30 schedule. That gives me the earlier evening hours for my kiddos/family at large, and the later evening hours for my beloved and any personal things i may want to do (like, you know, read a book, watch a movie, peruse the internet).

    But if you must work at home ... I have one word for you ....iPod!!! Drowns out sounds to the replacement sound of your pleasure. Well, unless you can get place big enough for a sound-proofed office.
    posted by Zuska @ 5:32 PM  
    3 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: zuska
    Home:
    About Me:
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    books
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER

    Who links to my website?